Pool/Pump problems, very detailed, need help please.

Posting that I edited, just incase anyone missed it. Probably not necessary but I want to order the proper kit. Her email she just sent me :

Good afternoon,

I just want to make sure you get the kit you need and realized that we can also customize a kit for you. Is this your personal pool or spa? Are there specific tests you are looking for? If you are not going to be testing Calcium Hardness OR CYA, we can customized a kit to meet your specific needs and this way you are not paying for tests you will not use. We can also provide you with more of one reagent than another… this might be a better option for you. Can you tell me more details about your pool/spa?

I’ve attached our residential order form for your review however, I do believe if you answer my questions above we might find something that can save you money and provide you with exactly what you need.

More stuff! I'm not sure if you guys care about continued posting, I would just hate for someone to not read an edit!

This vacuum I have... I put it on the jet to blow the air out while it's in the water, I then put the end in the skimmer w/ basket re,pved but when it comes to actually vacuuming I feel more like I'm sifting the dirst in to the pool than I am vacuuming... There's a lot of dust and what seems to be rock-ish particles in the pool, I'll keep trying to clean it up but it just seems like I clean it and it re-settles and drives me nuts.

On top of that, now that it is a little bit cleaner, I have these marks... I'm hoping they aren't holes in the liner, how do I tell? (I'm not comfortable going in the pool just yet lol)

That looks like some kind of rust stain. Search for threads about stains. You can put a vitamin C tablet on some and they will come off. When vacuuming, try cutting your main drain back a little to make the pump pull more from the skimmer. That's a horrible price on the Taylor kit. Does Amazon have it? The U.S. Amazon site is $50 and $90 for those kits. Know anyone close to the border who could order the tftestkits version? It's $68 and has more reagents. The bigger version is $13 more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not know what small and large mean for the kits. Likely they mean the K-2006 or the K-2006C (see Recommended Test Kits for a comparison). I am not sure the C is worth it because you do not need that much extra of many of the reagents.

Do they allow you to buy reagents separately? If so, get the K-2006 plus more R-0870 & R-0871 (FAS-DPD test) and R-0013 (CYA test).

BTW, your pool will not be damaged by not throwing in extra chemicals. You are more likely to damage it by adding all the copper.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you check Ebay for the K-2006? I think you can find it for cheaper and then maybe just order the extras from the store.

8baf9479035ae6832859e953c6fe2d02.jpg

Look what I found!

That looks like some kind of rust stain. Search for threads about stains. You can put a vitamin C tablet on some and they will come off. When vacuuming, try cutting your main drain back a little to make the pump pull more from the skimmer. That's a horrible price on the Taylor kit. Does Amazon have it? The U.S. Amazon site is $50 and $90 for those kits. Know anyone close to the border who could order the tftestkits version? It's $68 and has more reagents. The bigger version is $13 more.

I'll remember the the Vitimin C tablet trick when I can get wet. :p I'll test the vacuum theory tonight!

I wish I knew someone just below Alberta that would hook me up. :p

I do not know what small and large mean for the kits. Likely they mean the K-2006 or the K-2006C (see Recommended Test Kits for a comparison). I am not sure the C is worth it because you do not need that much extra of many of the reagents.

Do they allow you to buy reagents separately? If so, get the K-2006 plus more R-0870 & R-0871 (FAS-DPD test) and R-0013 (CYA test).

BTW, your pool will not be damaged by not throwing in extra chemicals. You are more likely to damage it by adding all the copper.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you check Ebay for the K-2006? I think you can find it for cheaper and then maybe just order the extras from the store.

Yeah, the larger kit just has more reagents. If you're testing every day like they recommend on the forum, you'd go through a small kit every 1-2 months. o_O

Look what I found!

Yeah, I've already contacted that guy... Be about 150 to my door, however I don't know about possible usps/border fees.. We pay nothing to send stuff to you but we pay a lot when you send stuff to us. :/

Thanks guys, one more. She's willing to customize so really, how often will I be testin?

She sent me this.

Our main goal is to make sure that you get the product you need so, no problem J

Would you be testing total alkalinity as well? How offend to you think you will be testing calcium hardness? I have an idea for you but I want to make sure before I price something out for you.

On top of the above question, how long should it take to heat my pool with a boiler running glycol through a heat exchanger? I've been running the pump and heater for 48 hours solid, the pool has went up maybe 8 degrees, sitting at about 18C right now, definitely not swimming material lol, I am comfortable swimming in it for now (or should I not be?), I was given test strips and it shows Chlorine now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is a suggested schedule of testing in Pool School. Some things you should be testing daily, others weekly, others monthly .... Give or take.

Look at the quantities of reagents the TF-100 comes with ... That is a good place to start.

Last post until I get my kit, I just want to be sure I order everything I need and she is being very helpful.

idid get your schedule, I’ve just been working on the set-up and pricing for the customized kit. Here’s what I’ve got:

Chlorine:

1x R-0870-I

1x R-0871-C

= 96 Tests @ 3ppm (just over 3 mths at high rate)

pH:

1x R-0004-C

= 288 Tests (almost 10 mths worth)

TA:

1x R-0007-A = 630 Tests

1x R-0008-C = 288 Tests

1x R-0009-C = 144 Tests (just over 2 yrs worth)

CH:

1x R-0010-C

1x R-0011L-A*

1x R-0012-C

= 72 Tests (*105 Tests) (almost 1.5 yrs worth)

CYA

2x R-0013-C

=34 Tests (almost 3 yrs worth)

COST: $169.95 +tax & shipping

*will include instructions, Pool/Spa Chemistry Book and Comparator Block

My first question is this ; Can I swim in my pool at the moment? (Please read ahead)

So while waiting for my test kit to arrive, I added the OTO... I just got home after leaving for work for 4 days, the pool is still running round and round and I decided to get my water tested again, it's a good thing I listened to you guys because with the bit that I DID add, it's really got everything all out of whack and I need to know what to do... I asked her why she didn't test the CYA and she said because indoor pools don't usually have stabalizers so my comfort level for them has completely gone out the wind, aside from that my levels are really high...

Before I write down my new Analysis report, I would like to know what you guys feel the best wya to figure out the volume of my pool? It's a weird shape and I can't find a calculator that accounts for it. :/ I've attatched a photo!

Now for my results:

Saturation Idx : 0.8
TDS : 600
CYA : 10 PPM
Tot. Chlorine 5
Free Chlorine 2
pH : 8.2
Tot alkalinity 165
Adj Total Alk. 162
Cal. Hardness 165
Salt n/a
Borates : Not Tested
Copper : Not Tested
Iron : Not Tested
Maganese : No
Hazy : No
Cloudy : No
Straining : None
Copper Stain : None
Iron Stain : No
Gree Algae : No
Swampy : No
Black Algae : No
Mustard : No
Slime/Mold : No

For the volume treat it as a series of circles (vertical cylinders) and use Pi r squared h (3.142 x the radius of the circle squared x the depth of that circle) might be the easiest way, or rough out a rectangle and use that. Otherwise you'll have to use calculus to get the exact volume, unless someone has a formula. As for swimming I can't see why not, you have chlorine and I've swam in worse farm dams lol

Yes you can swim.

It's easier to get an average width X length X average depth (all in feet). Multiply the result of that X 7.48 and you'll get the gallons. It will be more than close enough and you can adjust after you test the effects of the additions you make. You can always add a touch less, and work it up from there to get better on accurate dosings.

That depends on how much you believe those test results. They show a CC level of 3, which is too high to swim (assuming they are correct).

It is not a problem for swimming, but they also show a PH of 8.2. The PH test shows anything over 8.2 as 8.2, so your PH might actually be much higher. You should never let the PH go above 8.0. Again, assuming one believes the test results.

Alright well my kit should be here next week, I'll do my own tests and post the results, until than, talk to you soon and thanks again. :) I don't believe their results 100%, if they are true however.. How hard will this be to fix and is it ok for the weekend?

Edit : I assume yoiu mean you'd wait to swim until the CC is even? Why is that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.