Please help me with pump selection!!

May 30, 2013
Hi all!! Looking for help selecting a variable speed replacement for my 2hp superpump. My pool is about 38000 gallons with 2 skimmers a main drain, and a water slide with water feed going to it. Pump is currently controlled by a intermatic analog timer. Also I will be adding a stenner pump this year for liquid chlorine dispensing. Currently I have an older hayward propane heater that is pilot lit and will be replacing this year also. So I don't mind recommendations on automation for above!

Thanks!!

You may wan to look at a 2-speed motor with and a new shaft seal. The price difference between the VSM and a two speed motor make the two speed motor more economical.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

You may wan to look at a 2-speed motor with and a new shaft seal. The price difference between the VSM and a two speed motor make the two speed motor more economical.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

I was thinking about doing the two speed but since i have to re plumb for the new heater I'd just rather do the vs pump.

I think electric is about .17 per kWh but I'd have to look.
These rates are close to the point ($0.20 per kWh) where we would recommend a VS pump over a 2-speed. Before making a decision, here are some factors I would suggest considering:
  1. What's the recent trend in your electric rates? If they have been rising, you may want to consider a VS pump. If they are staying relatively constant, a 2-speed would likely be a more cost-effective option.
  2. Price difference between VS and 2-speed. VS pumps are becoming more common and there are more models to choose from at various price points compared to a couple of years ago. But 2-speed pumps have also come down in price compared to when they were introduced. Probably worth your time to do a little payback analysis.
  3. Reliability: VS pumps have a lot of electronic controls and these are subject to malfunctions and electrical surges, especially in areas that experience frequent thunderstorms. You can mitigate this risk with a surge suppressor, but this needs to be factored into the cost analysis. OTOH, 2-speed pumps are much simpler and do not have all the electronics of the VS pumps. Simpler design = increased reliability, all other factors constant.
  4. Degree of control & flexibility needed: The VS pumps win on this point, but this would be a major factor for pools with several water features.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.