Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please help me with pump selection!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Please help me with pump selection!!

Hi all!! Looking for help selecting a variable speed replacement for my 2hp superpump. My pool is about 38000 gallons with 2 skimmers a main drain, and a water slide with water feed going to it. Pump is currently controlled by a intermatic analog timer. Also I will be adding a stenner pump this year for liquid chlorine dispensing. Currently I have an older hayward propane heater that is pilot lit and will be replacing this year also. So I don't mind recommendations on automation for above!

Thanks!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please help me with pump selection!!

What is your cost for electricity?

Also, do you have a spa, waterfall, or other water features?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I think electric is about .17 per kWh but I'd have to look. Only water feature is the water slide, no waterfall or spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

You may wan to look at a 2-speed motor with and a new shaft seal. The price difference between the VSM and a two speed motor make the two speed motor more economical.

17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    You may wan to look at a 2-speed motor with and a new shaft seal. The price difference between the VSM and a two speed motor make the two speed motor more economical.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk
    I was thinking about doing the two speed but since i have to re plumb for the new heater I'd just rather do the vs pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

I love my Pentair 3hp VS pump. More pump than I need and infinite control. And very economical to run at lower rpm.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I think electric is about .17 per kWh but I'd have to look.
    These rates are close to the point ($0.20 per kWh) where we would recommend a VS pump over a 2-speed. Before making a decision, here are some factors I would suggest considering:
    1. What's the recent trend in your electric rates? If they have been rising, you may want to consider a VS pump. If they are staying relatively constant, a 2-speed would likely be a more cost-effective option.
    2. Price difference between VS and 2-speed. VS pumps are becoming more common and there are more models to choose from at various price points compared to a couple of years ago. But 2-speed pumps have also come down in price compared to when they were introduced. Probably worth your time to do a little payback analysis.
    3. Reliability: VS pumps have a lot of electronic controls and these are subject to malfunctions and electrical surges, especially in areas that experience frequent thunderstorms. You can mitigate this risk with a surge suppressor, but this needs to be factored into the cost analysis. OTOH, 2-speed pumps are much simpler and do not have all the electronics of the VS pumps. Simpler design = increased reliability, all other factors constant.
    4. Degree of control & flexibility needed: The VS pumps win on this point, but this would be a major factor for pools with several water features.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.