Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is this?

We have a late 70's fiberglass pool and I'm trying to identify this metal tube in the deck. You can see it at the top of first picture below. Its located about 7' from the skimmer and descends at an angle towards the deep end of the pool. I have removed the cap and there isn't any water in it (at least in the first couple feet)

20150211_070024.jpg

Here is a close up
    20150211_070039.jpg

We are planning a remodel of the pool area and wanted to know what it was so we can plan accordingly. Thanks
    Thanks,
    ~Staudie

13K, 13'x31' IG Fiberglass, 420sqft cartridge, Intelliflo VS, Built '79 resurfaced '13, Dolphin Supreme M4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is this?

Looks like a deck jet.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

It might go to a well point to lower the water table if the pool needs to be drained.

It might be a line for a fountain.

If you know the builder, they might know.

4. Back To Top    #4

Does your pool have main drain?
    If so, maybe the line for a hydrostatic valve? (if so this is sort of strange way to do it, but we've seen stranger).
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Does your pool have main drain?
    If so, maybe the line for a hydrostatic valve? (if so this is sort of strange way to do it, but we've seen stranger).

Yes Dave there is a main drain which is connected to the skimmer. I can adjust a valve in the skimmer to include or exclude the main drain. Is there a way to test your idea?
    Thanks,
    ~Staudie

13K, 13'x31' IG Fiberglass, 420sqft cartridge, Intelliflo VS, Built '79 resurfaced '13, Dolphin Supreme M4

6. Back To Top    #6

Im not sure if there is or not Staudi. Im not terribly familiar with hydrostatic valves or if they can be tested from deck side.

There are other folks here who know much more than I do about them. Perhaps they will chime in soon enough.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Hydrostatic valves are usually threaded into a hole in the bottom of the main drain. It would not be plumbed up into the deck like that.

I think that it most likely goes to a well point under the deep end.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I think that it most likely goes to a well point under the deep end.
    I agree, my pool has the same thing, there is a fitting in the retaining wall below the pool that you can pump the water from below the deep end if you need to drain the pool.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

The well point for my fiberglass pool is much larger than this one. In fact, the lid is the same size as a skimmer basket lid (or *is* one) and within that is PVC pipe of the same diameter. I see rocks down at the bottom, and it would be big enough to drop a sump pump into if ever the need.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain