Spa Waterfall type water loss

Jul 25, 2010
Early days on this, I've still a few tests to run. Noticing a drop in the spa water with equipment OFF, of about 1 inch every 3 hours. Not seeing any drop in pool level. Looking at some threads on the site, I'm seeing references to 'check valves'. On my set up on the pressure (post filter) side of the set up there is a Jandy that is usually set to allow water back into the pool and spa, it's set at about 2 o clock, so some water goes down the pool return and some goes down the spa return. Is the 'check valve' the spring loaded plastic assembly with a large grommet on it that is pushed against the spa pipe and has a screw thread holding it in position? Or is the 'check valve' the Jandy itself? Will closely measure pool level to see if spa water is being siphoned back into pool. Have not tried running with Jandy's set to spa recirculation only nor set to Pool recirculation only. I've only just confirmed there is something going on.
This is something like the beastie....it's under spring pressure and has a screw on cap at the end of the pipe.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-Assem...d=1423625408&sr=8-44&keywords=spa+check+valve

Thanks

The spring loaded plastic assembly thing sounds like a check valve, though a picture would allow us to be sure. The Jandy valve is not a check valve.

In a situation like this one, more often than not it is the check valve, but there are two other possibilities: the suction side handy valve might not be closing completely or there could be an actual leak in the spa.

Does your check valve open for servicing? If so you should open it up and clean out any debris. If it doesn't open, try running the spa for a little while and see if that clears any debris out of the valve. The suction side Jandy valve is fairly easy to check, watch to make sure it stops in the correct positions when switching modes. Actual leaks are more difficult to pin down.

The spring loaded plastic assembly thing sounds like a check valve, though a picture would allow us to be sure. The Jandy valve is not a check valve.

In a situation like this one, more often than not it is the check valve, but there are two other possibilities: the suction side handy valve might not be closing completely or there could be an actual leak in the spa.

Does your check valve open for servicing? If so you should open it up and clean out any debris. If it doesn't open, try running the spa for a little while and see if that clears any debris out of the valve. The suction side Jandy valve is fairly easy to check, watch to make sure it stops in the correct positions when switching modes. Actual leaks are more difficult to pin down.

Thanks Jason, I'll be able to take a look and post pics this weekend. One thing.....the check valve and return Jandy are about waist height, whilst the spa waterfall limit is about mid way between my sole and knee. Could you still get siphoning if the spa is way lower than the Jandy / check valve?

Thanks

Problem was bad rubber washer on the end of the spa check valve assy. I got a rubber washer from Lowes for $2 and enlarged the center hole so that it would stretch over the check valve and seat nice and snug. If you have this type of check valve:
http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-Assem...d=1423625408&sr=8-44&keywords=spa+check+valve
and suspect it is allowing water to be siphoned from the spa back into the pool, consider replacing the rubber washer before springing for a $60 replacement valve assy. I'm not seeing what could wear out that easily on the plastic assy.....the washer...yes....the assy itself...? I don't think so. I have replaced this washer before but not because of water siphoning from spa to pool. The pic attached shows the size of washer I used, plus the old one that had compression rings around the outside which was the cause of the leak. I did do a way tidier job this go around in enlarging the center hole. :). I enlarged it from 3/4 inch to about 1 1/8 inch to 1 3/16 inch. Lube the washer and valve assy with PTFE lube and gently stretch the washer over the assy and it will seat nicely. Job done and I'm relieved it was a 2 dollar part not a leak in the spa shell!! - Thanks

can't post pic of washer for some reason. The one I used is 2 1/4 " x 1/8" x 3/4" hole in center.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.