Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Flushed suction side, now pool's cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Flushed suction side, now pool's cloudy

The pump was not sucking any water from pool, so I stopped pump, shoved a hose in the suction side hole inside pump, made a good seal, and flushed the "tubes" one by one(adjusting valves so only one was open).... At the end I checked each valve that it was pulling in water to the pump,, except the main drain didn't...when I went back to the pool I saw a circle of mud around the main drain
    now the suction side is working properly and I vacuumed all that dirt but now the pool is a little hazy
    What should I do let the filter run overnight?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Flushed suction side, now pool's cloudy

Whats your chemical readings?
    David Randolph
    Warranty Station
    Pentair
    Jandy
    Owner Sac Pool Pros

3. Back To Top    #3

hm. i didnt check...

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like you've been brushing silt into the drain expecting it to be sucked away to the filter. Is there a separate valve for the main drain, or does it go through a two-hole skimmer? You might need to keep flushing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

this is an established pool that came with the house i just got, ... the main drain has its own valve, and it looks like they had the MD valve turned off - i guess because the MD was clogged ...

6. Back To Top    #6

ok went by pool today and it looks back to normal, nice and clear (probably dust settled on bottom)

... what do i do with that clogged main drain now? i dont want to flush it back into the pool...

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by zacc44 View Post
    ok went by pool today and it looks back to normal, nice and clear (probably dust settled on bottom)

... what do i do with that clogged main drain now? i dont want to flush it back into the pool...
    Lots of people don't have a main drain. You can point one of the return eyeballs down at the deep end to improve circulation and forget it. Or bite the bullet and blow it clear and deal with the mess using the vacuum.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!