New Filter Time

Mar 8, 2011
Its time to scrap the Jandy CL580 cartridge filter. My pool is right at 20,000 gallons with a Jandy stealth 2.0 HP pump. My pool is subject to lots of dust and debris as I have a field behind my house. Also my dogs swim everyday of the year so dog hair is a concern as well. I am looking for some recommendations on a sand and DE filter that will keep my water sparkly clean without for the years to come.

With a lot of hair, using a skimmer sock would help keep a lot of it out of the filter. I agree with Mark's question. What problems are you having and why do you want to switch?

I have used the skimmer socks and they do help some but I still get a ton of sand and muck in my filter. Also the manifold in the filter is made from what seems like glass and cracks if you even breath wrong on it. I clean my filters about every month and a half and that is getting old. The filters are shot and I am sure that manifold has cracked again.

The CL 580 is 580 sq-ft correct? My filter is smaller, 420 sq-ft, the same size pool and I only clean it once a year and have almost no pressure rise. Does your filter pressure rise that much in a month? Something else might be going on.

Location?

Yes I believe its 580 square feet off the top of my head, I am in the desert Arizona. I have lots of dust and **** as I back up to a field. Agriculture and construction dust daily. I clean more often in the swiming months April-November. My pressure is usually always between 15-25 PSI

The CL 580 is 580 sq-ft correct? My filter is smaller, 420 sq-ft, the same size pool and I only clean it once a year and have almost no pressure rise. Does your filter pressure rise that much in a month? Something else might be going on.

Location?

Question for you Mark. Since the OP has a two HP single speed and your signature states you have a 1/2 HP dual, would that make a different in the pressure spikes between your two systems? His has to be going full boor meanwhile yours has stages. Your pump has a slower flow rate so even though your filter is smaller it is able to push out the water before a pressure spike can happen.

Or does it not matter, and the gauge should spike anyway whatever the hp?

There is no "pressure spike". The pressure will slowly climb as the filter gets dirty. We recommend cleaning the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. The clean pressure for Mark with a smaller pump will just start at a lower pressure than it would for the OP.

The filters actually work better at lower flow rates since the smaller debris will not be forced through the filter media.

Upgrading to a smaller 2-speed pump could be another good idea; although I see they have an in-floor cleaning system that requires the use of the larger pumps and higher flow rates ... this is one downside of those systems, more $$$ to run the larger pump.

Head loss is proportional to the flow rate squared. So a larger pump results in higher flow rates and thus higher head loss which means the difference in HP shows up as a difference in filter pressure. My nominal pressure at full speed in 11 PSI. I will sometimes get a 1 PSI rise after 1 year which is about a 10% rise. We normally (TFP) recommend a 25% maximum rise before cleaning. A larger pump would simply just inflate both the clean and dirty filter pressures by approximately the same factor (e.g. 2x). So if you measure pressure rise as a percent of clean filter pressure, it shouldn't matter what size pump you have. Cleaning would occur at approximately the same time.

However, if you wait for a 8-10 PSI rise as many manufactures recommend, you may never get that PSI rise on a smaller pump while with a larger pump (head curve doesn't allow for it), you would reach that point much sooner. This is the reason we have chosen to abandon this method because it ignores the size of the pump (and also RPM). using a percentage PSI rise instead is much more logical and it accounts for the differences in flow rates and pump size so the filter is cleaned at the same point in time regardless of the pump size.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Head loss is proportional to the flow rate squared. So a larger pump results in higher flow rates and thus higher head loss which means the difference in HP shows up as a difference in filter pressure. My nominal pressure at full speed in 11 PSI. I will sometimes get a 1 PSI rise after 1 year which is about a 10% rise. We normally (TFP) recommend a 25% maximum rise before cleaning. A larger pump would simply just inflate both the clean and dirty filter pressures by approximately the same factor (e.g. 2x). So if you measure pressure rise as a percent of clean filter pressure, it shouldn't matter what size pump you have. Cleaning would occur at approximately the same time.

However, if you wait for a 8-10 PSI rise as many manufactures recommend, you may never get that PSI rise on a smaller pump while with a larger pump (head curve doesn't allow for it), you would reach that point much sooner. This is the reason we have chosen to abandon this method because it ignores the size of the pump (and also RPM). using a percentage PSI rise instead is much more logical and it accounts for the differences in flow rates and pump size so the filter is cleaned at the same point in time regardless of the pump size.

Gotcha, thank you for the clarification.

With that kind of dust load, I'd go with sand. DE filters filter really good, but in your case, they'd be needing cleaning every month. You can always add some DE to the sand filter if you think the water needs a real polishing.

X2

Here in West TX we know about dust and dirt in the pool, and there is no way I would even consider a cart filter. I went over-sized Sand filter and always use a little DE. No regrets whatsoever.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.