Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Light yellowish staining after SLAM/Fiberglass

1. Back To Top    #1

Light yellowish staining after SLAM/Fiberglass

Hi All, Just completed SLAM last week, levels looking good, I added a bit more bleach a few days ago per advice on my other post to help raise chlorine since I have SWG, but today developing a light yellowish/brownish stain on smooth areas--doesn't seem to readily come off? Any ideas??
    Water is crystal clear and these stains definitely were NOT present before today!
    FC-6
    CC 0
    PH 7.6
    TA 90
    CH 190
    CYA hovering around 90

Thoughts?
    Am going to buy some refills from TFT --do I need to get some other test beyond whats in my Taylor kit for this issue?
    Brand new (9/2014) Fiberglass 7500 gallon with 6 person spa spillover, Aquarite SWG/ Turbo Cell rated to 15,000 gallons, Hayward pump and cartridge filter. Electric Hayward heater for spa only.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Light yellowish staining after SLAM/Fiberglass

The only thought would be metal staining, but that would have been more likely to happen during the SLAM at high FC levels than after you let the FC drop back down.

You should not need any additional tests that those in the kits we recommend. FYI, it is highly likely that tftestkits.net will have a sale on refills in about a month (not sure how desperate you are).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

So how do I get rid of them? Thanks for the tip BTW on upcoming sale!
    Brand new (9/2014) Fiberglass 7500 gallon with 6 person spa spillover, Aquarite SWG/ Turbo Cell rated to 15,000 gallons, Hayward pump and cartridge filter. Electric Hayward heater for spa only.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, first you need to ID the stain. Try putting a vitamin C tablet on the stain, if it lightens in a couple minutes, that would confirm iron staining.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ahh yes--did the Vit c tablet test and it came right off! Saw the article posted that describes the Ascorbic acid treatment, but I don't want to take my chlorine back down now that I have everything cleaned up! Grrr. Do these stains cause any long term harm if I wait to remove? Do they ever go away on own?

Or I could scrub my whole pool with Vitamin c tablets ! LOL!

6. Back To Top    #6

No, no long term harm. The only impact is visual.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Tam87, see my post on metal stains. My fill water doesn't have metals and I'm thinking folks that owned pool before me must have put some kind of Algaecide containing metals in the pool. I've done the AA treatment a few times and use a Metal Klear on a weekly basis to keep it at bay as well as tad lower ph. Good luck w that!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!