First Time Pool Readings

Jan 21, 2015
Phoenix
Good Morning-

After shocking the pool to re-balance, below are the readings from the Taylor K-2006. This was done two weeks ago and last week 1 gallon of liquid chlorine was added.

Test was done this morning at 7:30am

FC-11 PPM (Didn't get CC reading)
PH-7.2
TA- 100 PPM
CH- 340 PPM
CYA- 60 PPM

Water temp 60

21,000 gallon pool, suggestions on levels, good/bad?

You can easily find suggested level ranges in Pool School. That said, all your numbers look good......I assume your pool water is crystal clear.

I am puzzled by your FC being up where it is......it's not at all harmful but a range of 4-7 is suggested.

Also surprised that your CH is so low out there in "hard water" Arizona.

Correction on the post above-

The SLAM/Shock that was preferred (Pool Guy), was in-part to alleviate the Algae in the pool as both Algae and FC where totally off. That being said, the readings from my water test was done after the fact. As for as crystal clear water, I guess the water is clear, but may have a slight haze to it.

With reading into the Pool Math and Pool School, the readings are in-line from what I can see.

My question now, is regarding the Pool Match Calculator

I added my current readings, and goal based of TFP. My question on the drop down menu in FC, does this populate automatically or do I need to change this? Currently it's at cal-hypo 73%. The other side, for pH, should it be at 14.5 in the drop down menu%? I'm using both Chlorine Liquid and Muriatic Acid from Kemtek (Home Depot).

I'm hoping I'm not sounding like an idiot here!

Thanks

So you have a pool guy do some sort of "shock"? That is not what we mean by the SLAM process and if the water is still hazy you need to maintain the higher FC level required for the SLAM process. You have to finish this process before you worry about balancing anything.

In PoolMath, you can select how you are going to add the chlorine in the drop down and it will tell you the amount required to raise from the Now to the Target numbers. For the pH you have to select the strength that you are using. the 14% is the weaker stuff that the big box stores are selling for the same price as what the stronger stuff was. I get my acid at the pool store since it is still the 31% strength for the same price.

The drop down in the FC section is only for using dry product. If you are using one make sure the correct one is selected.

For pH, I'm not sure about the kemtec, but if it's half the strength of 31.4% that would work. I think those from Home Depot etc are about 15%. Usually they are the same cost as 31% bought elsewhere, so you'll spend twice the money when using that acid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.