How much space needed to erect a metal walled AGP?

Jun 3, 2014
England
Possibly a silly question - I have a lot of these - how much space do you need to erect a metal walled AGP?

I'm hoping to fit one into our small garden, it's suddenly struck me that because we need the pool to be close to the fence, like really close, that we wouldn't have enough space to construct it initially . .. . the fence is our neighbours and it's removable panels, so theoretically we could get permission from our neighbour, remove the panels and work from their garden .. . . there would be uprights & the concrete base in the way, but you'd be able to touch the walls etc.

This is the fence & the concrete base I'm hoping to put the pool on.

I say you need at least three feet between the pool wall and any other structure. You are going to need to be able to walk completely around the pool in order to brush the walls, vacuum, scoop out debris, and make any repairs needed in that area. You will need enough space to maneuver your pool pole for maintenance as well, so make sure you have enough vertical clearance to avoid power lines. What size is the concrete slab?

I'm laughing at least three foot clear, if I'd had to have three foot clear, I wouldn't of been able to fit my 8ft Easy Set in :-D

It's a small garden. About 14ft wide.

I appreciate the points about maintenance though, I hadn't properly considered that. I don't think I'd need any more than a ft or so for that.

Casey's right, I am thinking of a 12ft round pool, but I've also spotted a 10ft by 16ft oval pool, that doesn't have the big buttresses on the long sides, so I'm considering that, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi MrsD

Nice to see another Brit on the forum!

I have similar problem in the garden space wise, was thinking of getting one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bestway-42-inch-Power-Steel-Frame/dp/B00IBUUOEI

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available in the UK - was looking at getting one shipped in from Germany. On the plus side it's very cheap, so my plan is to try this for size, and if it works upgrade to something more permanent.

Personaly I think this is perfect size for a small garden - last year we rented a villa with a pool exactly this size and found it was just large enough to be a 'proper' pool, without taking up too much space

Edit to add - No problem with brushing/vac etc. with one side against the fence - just use a long pole or stand IN the pool to reach those areas!

My pool is about an inch or two from the fence on one side and it was constructed by professionals. I also own the fence so I have some leeway. I tried to find a picture of the new pool but here is one of the old Intex and it was right against the fence. I had to crop it to upload.Pool_1.jpg

when I had my buried doughboy oval installed on our sloped back yard last year, they only left about 18 inches between pool wall and dirt. when they built pool, they laid down the track and buttresses, then they stood INSIDE the pool while they put up the walls. so they didnt even really need the 18 inches.

your mileage may vary depending on make / model of pool though.

I dug my pool into the hillside. At the bottom there is about 15 inches between the bottom of the pool and the hill. Then it gradually slopes upward from there.

I've only had to go back there one time so far, and that was to put the winter cover on. Its gonna be tight when i put my deck on, but i think i can manage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I installed a 12'x48" metal wall Bestway Poseidon last week. Like a lot of British gardens, space is small.
I allowed 4" clearance on the fence side. I had to lie down to screw the pool wall post in place. I positioned/rotated the pool with the posts in mind.
The top rail/plate is in line with the fence, and the skimmer/return are accessible on the other side. I found I can vacuum all around the pool with no problem.
I had more problems screwing the pool wall posts on the decking side. One post only had 1" clearance on the bottom outer screw! I bent the tip of a slotted screwdriver to tighten it.
But when space is at a premium, you have to get inventive!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.