Question on TA

Jul 19, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
I have an in ground pool with SWG and more recently a pHtek automated acid system. Prior to the pHtek I always had an issue with high pH and high TA thanks to the SWG. After the pHtek was installed the pH has always been spot on. I also have a waterfall, so the addition of acid and aeration also kept the TA where I want it.
Recently however the TA has taken a nose dive down to 20, vs my target of 70. Now I'm looking at adding Soda Ash to get that back in line.
Is this common or do I have an issue I need for remedy? It seems counter intuitive to add both acid and soda ash.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

When you are constantly feeding acid, the TA will go down steadily over time. When the TA gets too low, the PH will drop and PH regulation will be lost. You need to monitor your TA and make sure it never falls below about 60 to 70.

You should not be adding soda ash. Soda ash will raise the PH a lot, and raise the TA only a little. You want to add baking soda, which will raise the TA a lot, and raise the PH only a tiny bit.

Adding borates (using borax) is optional, but it does help to stabilize the pH some and slow how fast the pH rises.

Regardless, you still need to maintain the TA as Jason described above.

Poolmath will do the calculation for you. Enter your pool size and the now and target values. Also, I suspect that you're trying to keep the pH too low. Try keeping it closer to 7.8.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.