Robot or manual pool vac?

mellenw

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 21, 2011
Dallas, TX
We have a 60's vintage pool 15K kidney shape 1 main, 1 skimmer, 2 jets. Not willing to add pumps, dig trenches and penetrate the pool wall. I don't hate vacuuming (it's kinda zen like) but I don't enjoy all the preparation and related activities. I studied robot cleaners but they seem to be just as much work as what I do now. Any Ideas?

Robotic cleaners are certainly less work, however they cost more. This kind of tradeoff, spending money to save a little effort, is a very personal decision, not something we can really advise you on.

A very personal choice. Some truly enjoy the manual vac process and find it relaxing as you do....at least sometimes. Others enjoy watching the robot travel mindlessly around their pool while they sip a cool one. Your call.

Thanks all. It is fun to watch a mindless robot going about its business but probably not $600+ amusing. It appears to take just as much effort to get the robot in and out and cleaned as it does to grab the hose and pole.
I like Richard's suggestion and love his comparison to pets and pool ownership (sure wish I could get this pool housebroken).
Dave's plan also good so I'll buy one of those beer caps to free my hands for the manual vacuum.
Mellen

For me, it's oppsosite. We are not wealthy by any measure, and I feel like 1500 is a bargain for a good robot. The amount of work it saves is unreal. I have not seen my vac hose since he arrived, and I hope I never need it again. The amount of time it would take for me to do what he does would be unreasonable. We get loads of dirt/dust and a good amount of tree debris in our pool quite often. It also saves a good amount of back washing and that weighs in for me too.

It used to take me about an hour to vacuum my pool with a pole. But im picky about stuff being on the bottom of my pool. I didnt spend all of this money to have a dirty pool bottom. So I used to be constantly vacuuming and scooping stuff out. I was spending lots of time on it.

Now I throw in the robot, go back later and the pool is spotless. Takes about 5 minutes (if that long) to clean the filters. Having experienced both, I wouldn't be without the robot. I absolutely love this thing. It's awesome!

Agree, there is no comparison at all. Additionally, the robot gets more dust and dirt out than I ever can with the vacuum. If you make the purchase, you'll never regret it. I think you have to experience it to believe how good they really are. I repeat this often, but it was the single best choice we made for our pool equipment choices.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.