Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Peeling/Flaking slate tile around Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Palm Desert, CA

Peeling/Flaking slate tile around Pool

Hi Everyone,

I purchased a home in Palm Desert Last year and there was already a pool in place. I noticed that since I moved in the slate tile used around the pool above the water line occasionally flakes and peels off dropping a muddy flaky mess into the pool. Is there anything i can do, perhaps take a putty knife and peel it back even more then seal it?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Peeling/Flaking slate tile around Pool

Blake, that is exactly what I would do. I've got a few spots myself I have to tackle, and will be doing that when it warms up a bit. I have a salt water pool, and was warned this might happen. Good luck!

Helen - Texas
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM

3. Back To Top    #3

You can use a pressure washer to blast it off. I have a few pieces of flagstone that do that and it's going to be an ongoing problem on mine from time to time. You may, or may not get down to a harder layer where it's less, but don't count on it.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

San Diego ca

It's going to keep flaking. Slate is horrible to use. Needs to be replaced or just deal with it