Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First timer

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Minneapolis, Mn.

First timer

If you were to read my bio you would see that I am in the business. Sure I have a 18' above ground pool but that's not why I am here. I am here to say thank you. This is an awesome forum. I belong to just a couple others and this one ranks up there with the best in terms of patient veterans and accurate helpful information.

I've only been in the business for 2 years. The vast majority of what I have been taught is correct but based on my experiences I could tell there was more I wasn't being taught. This was only due to ignorance not intentional.

The real jewel of information has to do with the FC/CYA tables.

The second jewel has to do with phosphates. I don't need to go into it but I will say I GET IT!

This was absolutely perfect-

There is a relationship, but it is indirect. Phosphates are an essential nutrient for algae growth. So when phosphates are the limiting nutrient, higher levels will have algae grow faster thereby creating greater chlorine demand such that the SWG cannot keep up. However, this only happens when the active chlorine level isn't high enough to kill the algae faster than it can grow. If the FC is at least 5% of the CYA level in an SWG pool (7.5% in a manually dosed pool), then the chlorine kills green algae faster than it can grow regardless of nutrient level. This is because algae growth is ultimately limited by sunlight and temperature, taking 3-8 hours to double in population.

So you have a choice with the pools that you service. You can set an appropriate FC level for the CYA level and not worry about the phosphate level or you can use expensive phosphate removers and have a lower FC level. That's why I say that phosphate removers should be seen in the same vein as algaecides. They are supplemental products that are not necessary if one maintains the proper active chlorine level. Some municipal water districts have phosphates in their fill water so evaporation and refill will increase phosphate levels over time in that case so their removal is not always just a one-time treatment. The pool store in my local area services 2000 pools (a good portion of them SWG) with a target 4.5 ppm FC and they dilute the water when the CYA hits 100 ppm in the Trichlor pools. They aren't quite at a high enough FC for the CYA in the Trichlor pools so some of them get algae and they shock and use phosphate removers in those cases, but the SWG pools aren't a problem because their CYA level doesn't climb and their FC is high enough. As I wrote before, 4 ppm FC minimum with 80 ppm CYA works well for SWG pools.

Think of phosphates as fuels, such as wood, for a fire. The more wood in a fire, the more heat and fire there is. Think of chlorine as water that is dousing the fire. If you don't use enough water, then the fire can continue to burn albeit somewhat more slowly. If you use enough water on the wood, then a fire can't even get started because any spark or flame gets put out. The maximum size of the wood pile is limited by other factors so as long as you use at least the minimum amount of water on the wood for that maximum size of the wood pile, a fire cannot get started (i.e. algae growth cannot take off).

I will just conclude by saying one more time, THANK YOU!

P.S. SLAM that pool!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: First timer

That's a very nice post, lux man.....Thank you from all of us.

Welcome to the forum.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

Welcome..............and hang around!

We like having folks around in the industry that....."Get It".
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Elverson Pa.

Welcome to TFP !
    Great post and the forum needs people like you to stick around !
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Longview, Texas

Hi Lux Man,
    Welcome to TFP!

The world needs more people like you in the business.

Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

NE Texas

Good post and agreed with your comments about this forum. This is one of the few with very kind and patient "veterans" as you put it. Most enthusiast forums will crucify a "newbie" who asks the most mundane question, but the people on here are very patient with them and direct them to Pool School and answer questions. That is rare in the world of internet forums.

Good to have you aboard!
    Done! Pool build thread here
    38 x 18 free form, IG gunite with all gunite waterfall/slide/grotto
    18" raised spa, waterfall into pool
    Hayward 3hp Tri Star Pump x 3, 525sqft Swimclear filter, Polaris 280 cleaner
    Hayward LED pool lights, Hayward LED accent lights, 400K BTU Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

San Rafael, CA USA

Just FYI, this post is the one that you are quoting. We usually like to have links to quotes both for attribution and for context.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8
    SW PA

Welcome to TFP.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9
    DFW, Texas

Welcome to the forum!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Friendswood, TX

Nice informative post! Spread that sense of understanding around.
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

11. Back To Top    #11
    South Carolina

TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!