Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster vs. Fiberglass for existing concrete pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster vs. Fiberglass for existing concrete pool

Currently there is fiberglass coating on it, with a decayed gelcoat (looks like ****). A couple bubbles here in and there in the fiberglass itself but overall very good structural condition. I have had one plaster company come out, and one fiberglass company come out. Fiberglass was a little more but offered a 15 year warranty vs. 3 for the plaster. Fiberglass company has been doing it for something like 25 years.

The pool was supposedly last done in the 80's and the fiberglass guy mentioned that was very early for a fiberglass coating so maybe there were some cracks or other issues with the pool that made them switch to fiberglass instead of plaster (this has me a little concerned about going back to plaster).

I tried some searching but the stuff I found was either really old or for new pool construction. What do you guys think? Plastering seems to be way more popular, maybe just because fiberglass is a little more expensive?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plaster vs. Fiberglass for existing concrete pool

any opinions?

3. Back To Top    #3

Fiberglass on top of plaster/concrete is uncommon and is difficult to get right. You definitely want an experienced company if you go that direction. Plaster is far more common and there are plenty of contractors who can do that right no problem. If nothing goes wrong with the install, fiberglass will last longer. Fiberglass is much more prone to metal stains, but then plaster requires a little extra attention to keeping the chemistry balanced.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah the company has been doing fiberglass for 25 years and they warranty for 15 so I am pretty confident with their experience. They will do plaster if someone specifically requests it but otherwise all they do is fiberglass.

I have copper piping so I guess I will have to keep the chemistry in check to avoid the metal stains.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes you will no matter what finish is chosen. If you go plaster, it sounds like you should consider another contractor who specializes in it versus FG. Personally, I would choose a good Quartz or Pebble type plaster finish over FG. A Good one will last twenty years pretty easily if taken care of.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

You can't just re gel the existing FG?