Deck blocks or dig holes?

kris77

May 27, 2014
Clarksburg, WV
Not sure where to post this...So I picked here.

Going to do a deck this spring and am thinking of using the deck blocks to sit my post in. I'm in WV and it freezes and thaws here alot during the winter. This would save me a TON of time as I plan to build a big deck.
My plan is to build a big rectangle around my pool. 3' walkway on 3 sides and a big 10' deck on the other. So the actual deck part will be 10'x30' at the narrowest point.

Just wondering if deck blocks will work?

All of the reports on deck blocks have been very positive except for one issue. There are building code issues with deck blocks in a few areas. If you need to pass a building code inspection I recommend checking with your local authority to see if they are allowed in your area before making a final decision. This isn't usually an issue, but can cause major problems if it does get to be an issue, so well worth clearing up in advance.

I know my local codes say for a deck you must dig below the frost line. 3 ft for my area. They won't accept the blocks. The blocks are usually used in areas that don't see hard freezes and thawing that causes heaving.
So I would check to be on the safe side. If you don't pull a permit for the deck and they come snooping around to see what your doing and your using blocks there could be issues.

I used a combo of blocks and holes. I dug holes, but the last row of posts in front of the pool I used deck blocks. The backside was up against a bank, so the space between the bottom of the pool and the bank had a flat spot, and I used them there. It was packed clay almost like cement. I leveled the blocks, and they were no problem. The code inspector in our area had no problem with them. They also told me because the deck was not attached to the house, the posts only needed to dug 12 inches deep by code. The inspector came and measured each hole before I could cement them in. My yard has a lot of slate in it. I dug each of them between 30 and 36. Only a hand full are under 36. I then cemented them in. 12 inches just seemed too shallow.

I will tell you this about permits. I was building my pool, and got a pool permit ($272), however it did not cover the deck. I didn't really think much about it, because my deck plans were included in my permit app. But I did not check the box for a deck. After the pool was built, I had a **** ton of wood in my back yard, I got a call from the township. Guy said that i was not allowed to build a deck without a permit. I played dumb, and had to go submit my plans again. Nevertheless, I paid around $178, for the new permit. They dropped the plan review fee for me. Not much of a big deal fine wise (since i played it off as a innocent mistake), it put about a two week hold on my project, since I was not allowed to do really anything other than dig my holes.

I actually planned to do the same thing Matt did. Dig holes away from the pool, but put blocks in all the way around the pool. I think that would be easier than digging 20 or so holes around the outer edge of the pool. Maybe put deck blocks every 4' around the pool and then dig the holes for the other posts. I dug back into a bank as well and for some reason I think digging holes on the bank side will be tough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.