Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resealed my stone today, still looking good.

1. Back To Top    #1

Resealed my stone today, still looking good.

I was terrified when we built our pool as we used Oklahoma Flagstone for the coping and spa and fire pit, and decided to go with a Salt Water Chlorine Generator. Have been thrilled with that choice, hardly any maintenance. This was the sealer I put on before introduced to salt water a year and a half ago, and I reapplied today. I told everyone that I would keep everyone informed about the status of my natural stone and the salt water.

I am happy to report that there has been no degradation of my stone yet. We are right at 17 months. Still probably to early to tell, but I am happy so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    43 x 19 Gunite Pool w/ spa and fire pit, 19,000 gallons, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue finish, Jandy 2 HP VS E-pump, Jandy 580 sq ft Cartridge Filter, Jandy LXI 400k Heater, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, 4 Jandy LED color lights, Aqualink PDA and Iaqualink, Polaris 280 with Booster Pump. Polaris 9550 Robot Cleaner. 1 HP Silencer Air Blower for Spa http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...NAL-INSPECTION

2. Back To Top    #2

Resealed my stone today, still looking good.

Thanks for the update. Glad it's holding up well for you. Flagstone is my fav for coping.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Resealed my stone today, still looking good.

Yes, thank you for the update. DuPont makes a great product!
    ..oh, NICE Model you have there!
    Last edited by pragmatic; 02-12-2015 at 01:34 PM. Reason: add comment
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks great. Can that be used on concrete pavers, and does it change the color of your stone or is it more of a dry / flat look?
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow, it looks great. I was afraid to convert to a SWCG be cause of the staining issue. I just may reconsider and use the Dupont sealer you did.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mitch08 View Post
    Looks great. Can that be used on concrete pavers, and does it change the color of your stone or is it more of a dry / flat look?
    Doesn't change the color at all. If you don't wipe up the excess sealer that doesn't soak in it can leave a milky white looking film on the stone, but I am getting good at wiping it off. Took me only about an hour to seal it this time, not sure if I am missing spots or getting better at applying!
    43 x 19 Gunite Pool w/ spa and fire pit, 19,000 gallons, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue finish, Jandy 2 HP VS E-pump, Jandy 580 sq ft Cartridge Filter, Jandy LXI 400k Heater, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, 4 Jandy LED color lights, Aqualink PDA and Iaqualink, Polaris 280 with Booster Pump. Polaris 9550 Robot Cleaner. 1 HP Silencer Air Blower for Spa http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...NAL-INSPECTION

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mitch08 View Post
    For concrete you can use Glaze 'N Seal multi-purpose sealer at around $55 per gallon compared to around $150 per gallon for the Dupont product (which might be better for stone). A good sealer that repels water will keep out the salt as well, though obviously splash-out and evaporation will leave salt on the surface. The key is to not have it soak into soft stone. Concrete doesn't usually have the same problems with salt splash-out. Sealing will help the concrete last longer regardless of the salt.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

Does the Dupont Stonetech or the Glaze-N-Seal make the stone slippery?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    The Stonetech does not make my stone slippery at all. The only way I notice it is on the stone is seeing water bead up when it hits the stone.

10. Back To Top    #10

That is the same sealant we have on our travertine and stone deco. I put it on about 8 months ago and it looks great. Glad to hear that you are experiencing similar results. I was not planning on re-sealng this year, I think we can probably go through another season based on how well water is still beading on the stone!
    8,000 gallon in-ground gunnite geometric. Wet Edge Satin Matrix. Triple overflow water feature.
    Hayward - TCell 15 SWG; TriStar VS Main Pump; SwimClear 425 Cartridge Filter; ProLogic 4 Automation, SuperII Water Feature Pump; Polaris 280 w/ Booster
    Link to my Build

11. Back To Top    #11

I also have Oklahoma flagstone coping and have been wanting to switch to swcg, but have been scared to because of the horror stories that i have heard. How do you apply the sealer, with brush or pump sprayer? Also do you worry about getting the sealer in the pool water while applying it. My wife will be extremely happy if i can prove a sealer will save our stone and i can install a swcg. Thanks!!
    21'6" x 38' Inground pool with Onyx pebble tec, Oklahoma flag stone coping with natural moss rock, Hayward DE6020 filter, Hayward Tristar SP3215X202 pump, Hayward Booster pump Model 6060, Ozone Joes OJ-45LR, Intermatic PE653RC. Pool completed in April 2014.

12. Back To Top    #12

In my case, I didnt use a sprayer because I was afraid any breeze that came along might cause overspray where I didnt want any to be.

And I dont trust myself enough with a sprayer to apply it evenly enough all around anyhow.

I used a 2 inch paintbrush and brushed the sealer on right around the edge of the pool so that none would drip in. I used a thick nap paint roller and did the rest of the deck. It worked out great for me without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryantom View Post
    I also have Oklahoma flagstone coping and have been wanting to switch to swcg, but have been scared to because of the horror stories that i have heard. How do you apply the sealer, with brush or pump sprayer? Also do you worry about getting the sealer in the pool water while applying it. My wife will be extremely happy if i can prove a sealer will save our stone and i can install a swcg. Thanks!!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    The Glaze-N-Seal on concrete, including troweled concrete, does not make it slippery after about a day or two of drying. It does have a little shine compared to being very dull looking with no protection, but it's not "shiny" nor slippery.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm no expert here nor pretend to be but I would think that a product that's costs 100.00 more for the same amount has to be better?? (55 for a gallon as opposed to 150)
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

15. Back To Top    #15

Can you use this product for a moss rock waterfall? Or would that be too difficult?
    18k gallon IG gunite/pebblesheen with 3ton moss rock waterfall, 8 ft 12" raised wall & rock accents , 42sq ft 12" raised spa w/ 6 jets & cascading stacked stone waterfall, 3HP Intellifo VS pump,
    420sq ft Pentair cartridge filter, 400,000 BTU Pentair Gas Heater, 1.5HP Whisperflo water feature pump, 1.5HP Silencer Spa Blower, 3 intellibrite lights, EZTouch System 8

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Bryantom View Post
    How do you apply the sealer, with brush or pump sprayer? Also do you worry about getting the sealer in the pool water while applying it. My wife will be extremely happy if i can prove a sealer will save our stone and i can install a swcg. Thanks!!
    I used a roller for the top of the coping, fire pit and spa and used a paint brush for the up and down stones around the fire pit and spa and the edge and bottom of the coping. The first time I did it I was really anal and was in the pool with a towel making sure none of the sealer got in the pool. This time, since the water is now in the 50's and there would be a better chance of me flying to the moon than getting in the pool, I just was pretty careful. I did have some drip in the pool but still a very minimal amount. I felt it was less of a problem then when my daughter and 10 of her friends jump n the pool with lotion, makeup, perfume and whatever else they have on.

The longer I have my pool I am finding myself how much more relaxed about what will get it out of wack and what won't.

17. Back To Top    #17

QUOTE=ricky12;757926]Can you use this product for a moss rock waterfall? Or would that be too difficult?[/QUOTE]

Don't see why not, just has to be dry to apply and has to stay dry for 72 hours I believe. Might have to reapply more often with the constant water going over the rocks.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Donny View Post
    I'm no expert here nor pretend to be but I would think that a product that's costs 100.00 more for the same amount has to be better?? (55 for a gallon as opposed to 150)
    Apples and oranges since the $150 product is for stone while the $50 one is for concrete (though they say it can be used for stone, it's not specifically designed to do so).

19. Back To Top    #19

I really love the color of my stone once it gets wet, anybody have a wet-look sealer that they have used with success for a salt water pool?
    21'6" x 38' Inground pool with Onyx pebble tec, Oklahoma flag stone coping with natural moss rock, Hayward DE6020 filter, Hayward Tristar SP3215X202 pump, Hayward Booster pump Model 6060, Ozone Joes OJ-45LR, Intermatic PE653RC. Pool completed in April 2014.

20. Back To Top    #20

This is so helpful! Thanks for posting your updates!!
    Just getting started! Inground freeform gunite pool, 17x32, 3.5-5ft depth, SWCG, French Grey mini pebble Stonescapes, NPT Arctic Lagoon glass tile, raised wall with 3 sheers, Polaris robotic cleaner, Cartridge filter, 550 sqft concrete/Kool-dek; Dig to begin 10/2017!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast