Intermatic Timer Runs Constantly - Even Manual Switch Doesn't Work

mort

Feb 8, 2015
Valrico, FL
About two weeks ago, my Intermatic 24-hour timer stopped turning my pump on and off. If I flipped the manual switch to "Off," the pump would continue to run. I had to flip the breaker switch to turn the pump off. I replaced the entire timer and the same thing is still happening. It doesn't matter what time of day it is, the only way to turn off my pump is to kill it at the breaker. Both timers ran (the gears always moved)

Does anyone have any idea of what the problem might be? I would appreciate any help that anyone can provide.

Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome and the attempt to help. This site is very impressive I'm looking forward to learning much more, once I quit pulling my hair out (little that there is) over this.

It's an Intermatic T103R 24-hour timer. As I mentioned, I just replaced the whole unit. The gears turn and it keeps accurate time (until I kill the breaker, of course).

No freeze protection, so that can't be it.

Thanks again!
mort

Ok then ... I'm pretty stumped as it should shut off by tripping the switch manually and also when an "off" finger on the dial comes around and trips it.
I'm sure that's why you are pulling your hair out too.
The 103 looks to be a 120 volt timer. Is the power supply coming out of the breaker box from a single 120 volt breaker ?? It was working fine one day and then it stopped being able to shut off the current to the motor. Was there any electrical or mechanical work done on the components in the system around that time ??

Three possible reasons that I can think of.

1) Contacts stuck closed. Since both timers have the same problem, this is unlikely.

2) A switch in parallel is bypassing the timer.

3) Original timer contacts stuck closed. New timer miswired.

Does the pump start back up when you turn the breaker back on? Or does the timer have to be used to start it after the breaker is turned back on? I guess that's what timer runs constantly was referring to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No service work, tinkering, or lightning strikes that I am aware of. It just stopped shutting off one day.

Given that and that I rewired it exactly as I found it, I don't *think* that's it. The contacts move the timer switch/lever as expected, but the filter pump doesn't stop. The only way to start/stop the pump is to use the breaker switch, regardless of the position of the timer switch.

Thanks for all the help and advice so far. It's simple enough to turn on the pump when I go to bed and to turn it off when I get up, but that's kinda why I have a timer in the 1st place, I thought.

:brickwall:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had a neighbor who said their timer wasn't turning the pump off. We found out that their system had a "by pass" switch. It was there to turn on the pump (for the spa use) during the time when the pump was set to be off on the timer.

I had a neighbor who said their timer wasn't turning the pump off. We found out that their system had a "by pass" switch. It was there to turn on the pump (for the spa use) during the time when the pump was set to be off on the timer.

Thank You chiefwej! I was having the same problem as the original poster and your post jogged my brain into gear. My spa has an air switch and the pump is wired into it so that you can start the air blower and the pool pump by using the button at the spa. I just went out, turned on the breaker, went out back and pressed the spa button and presto, the pump shut off.

Thank You chiefwej! I was having the same problem as the original poster and your post jogged my brain into gear. My spa has an air switch and the pump is wired into it so that you can start the air blower and the pool pump by using the button at the spa. I just went out, turned on the breaker, went out back and pressed the spa button and presto, the pump shut off.

This is exactly my issue. Seems that when my lovely bride told me she hadn't done anything differently to the pool, she forgot to tell me she and her relatives had used the spa one day. I pressed the spa button and everything went back to normal. I even re-installed the original timer.

Thanks, chiefwej! Thank everyone! I really appreciate it! Now onto Pool School!

mort

Glad to be able to help. We even got two for one, solving two peoples problem with one answer!

This is exactly my issue. Seems that when my lovely bride told me she hadn't done anything differently to the pool, she forgot to tell me she and her relatives had used the spa one day. I pressed the spa button and everything went back to normal. I even re-installed the original timer.

Thanks, chiefwej! Thank everyone! I really appreciate it! Now onto Pool School!

mort

I'm glad I found this thread, I happen to be experiencing essentially the same problem. However I'm unsure of what you all mean when you say "spa button". On the actual spa itself - located about 20 feet away in my deck - I only have 3 buttons, one is for a circulation type run, the other is for all the jets to come on, and the third is for the light. I've tried toggling the jet's and the spa pump continues to run.

The pump, timer and housing are all located in my garage, would this switch be on the actual spa, or the pump?

Thank you in advance!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.