Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Rover Jr. for AGP

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Rover Jr. for AGP

I know there have been lots of threads in the past on the pool rover jr. automatic cleaner but I thought I would add another to the pot. If you own an AGP and are looking for the easy way out on pool vacuuming, you need to get one of these. This thing is a breeze........
    It does sometimes have to run over the same spot twice to completely clean the bottom, but still gets the job done in less than 2 hours(which is what it is set to run).
    Emptying and cleaning the debris bag is fairly simple and the bag is machine washable. The only thing that is a minor pain is removing the vac. from the pool since its bigger than most vac.s that run off the pool filter.
    All in all, I think its great for an AGP and works alot better than the lil shark that I was using as it cleans the bottom much faster and doesnt get stuck on the sides like the shark does, plus it doesn't suck debris into the filter so you might not have to backwash as much.
    24' AGP vinyl, 3/4hp Pentair 2-speed, Pentair Quad DE 60
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Rover Jr. for AGP

I loved mine, when it was working. Unfortunately, after 1.5 months of use, the pump stopped working. Fortunately, it is still under warranty and I am sending it back soon.
    BBBB?-Bleach, Baking Soda, Borax, BEER!
    18' x 33' x 54" AG Pool, Vinyl Liner
    17,700 Gal
    Pump: Baquapure Workhorse Superflow, 2.5HP, 2 Spd
    Filter: Baquapure High Rate Sand Filter, 26 inch
    Baquapure Water Polishing System

Proud new Papa of a Pool Rover Junior! Born 6/20/08

3. Back To Top    #3

I hate to hear that. I hope it isn't too much of a hassle getting a replacement. Now you have me worried a little. I hope this isn't a common problem with these cleaners.
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by budysr
    I hate to hear that. I hope it isn't too much of a hassle getting a replacement. Now you have me worried a little. I hope this isn't a common problem with these cleaners.
    One good thing, if it does break, and is out of warranty, there are places that either repair them, or sell replacement parts. It is not hard to disassemble and repair. I went with a pool rover because none of the parts are that expensive, the motor and the ac convertor are the most expensive parts, compared to the other robotic cleaners.

Randy
    25,000 gal fiberglass pool, Raypak 200k BTU H200FDN gas heater, Pentair CCP520 520 sq ft Cart filter, Max-Flo VS2303VSP pump. iWave wireless remote,

seperate spa, with own pump, cartridge filter, Hayward H200FDN heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I got a lot of **** from my husband when I bought the pool rover early this summer. But guess what? He's now bragging about it to all our friends because he doesn't have to clean the pool anymore. It's great. We absolutely love it. My girls have long hair and it picks up all their hair and more. I can't believe the stuff that is in the pool.
    24 ft. round Artesian above-ground pool
    54" depth
    15,000 gallons
    Hayward 1.5 HP EC45 DE Filter
    Hayward H150 Gas Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Can you use a Pool Rover with a solar cover on?
    28' AG, 17000 gal., sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, we do it with the solar cover on all the time. The only thing is that we have to check it once in a while to make sure it's not stuck by our pool stairs. We have a plastic shower liner underneath the stairs and it gets caught at the liner from time to time.
    54" depth
    15,000 gallons
    Hayward H150 Gas Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks. I am seriously looking at getting one of these next year. I am just tired of manual vacuuming every day!

9. Back To Top    #9

You're welcome. We were tired of manually vacuuming too. My husband has a bad tennis elbow, so he would aggravate his elbow vacuuming. He loves this thing now. We put it in the pool early in the morning and forget about it. We'll come back and the pool is all clean.
    54" depth
    15,000 gallons
    Hayward H150 Gas Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Yeah, it always seems like I have to clean for an hour before we can enjoy the pool. And with 2 little ones it's hard to keep them out when they are ready to swim.

PS I grew up in Tinley! My parent still live there!

11. Back To Top    #11

What a small world! You're the second person I've met on this forum from around here. The other person I met lives in Homer Glen. My best friend lives in Eden Prairie, Minnesota. So, we have a lot in common.
    54" depth
    15,000 gallons
    Hayward H150 Gas Heater

12. Back To Top    #12

I bought a pool rover this spring and love it.

Except there is one thing you should be aware of. If you get alot of leaves in your pool you should also order the mesh bag (for leaves) as the bag that comes with it

is for smaller particles only.

When we took our cover off this spring, alot of leaves etc. got into the pool from the cover. (it was our first year opening the pool as we just moved here July 2007). I

used the pool rover to clean it but it would only go for maybe 5 minutes or so and then slow to a crawl as the bag that comes with it is not made to pick up leaves, it

clogs up too quick. I then had to take it out, clean the bag and put it back in,..for yet another 5 minutes or so until it would clog again. I finally just threw my old

kreepy krauly in and it picked up the leaves quickly. They really should tell you that in their sales pitch for it, because had I known..I would have ordered one

immediately! So I now have the mesh bag, have not yet used it(haven't needed to), and I also ordered another regular micro bag so if need be, I can run two cycles. (I

get this sand-like apppearing stuff, algae? every day after the pump comes on-have not yet solved that matter!)

Anyway, just an FYI.
    27' 17,000 gal. above ground.
    Pentair Meteor sand filter-22", uses 150lb of sand.
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5 hp pump
    new water cycler that uses prefilled pacs of chlorine
    ~BBB method

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by mnpoolgirl
    I bought a pool rover this spring and love it.

Except there is one thing you should be aware of. If you get alot of leaves in your pool you should also order the mesh bag (for leaves) as the bag that comes with it

is for smaller particles only.

When we took our cover off this spring, alot of leaves etc. got into the pool from the cover. (it was our first year opening the pool as we just moved here July 2007). I

used the pool rover to clean it but it would only go for maybe 5 minutes or so and then slow to a crawl as the bag that comes with it is not made to pick up leaves, it

clogs up too quick. I then had to take it out, clean the bag and put it back in,..for yet another 5 minutes or so until it would clog again. I finally just threw my old

kreepy krauly in and it picked up the leaves quickly. They really should tell you that in their sales pitch for it, because had I known..I would have ordered one

immediately! So I now have the mesh bag, have not yet used it(haven't needed to), and I also ordered another regular micro bag so if need be, I can run two cycles. (I

get this sand-like apppearing stuff, algae? every day after the pump comes on-have not yet solved that matter!)

Anyway, just an FYI.
    You may have to occasionally manually vacuum the sand like spots you are seeing(if its not algae) into the filter and then IMMEDIATLEY backwash the filter before the dust gets back into the pool. The one bad thing about the Rover is that it seems to "stir up" the pollen/dust spots more than actually sucking them into the bag.
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

Thought I would let you all know. My PRJ pump went bad. I called the company and it was still under warranty. I sent it in and a little less than a week and a half, I had a new (refurbished) one delivered to my door. Not only that, I got two new micro bags. Not sure if they do that for everyone or if it was a mistake. The only thing I had to pay was shipping to the factory which was $18.

All in all, a very pleasant warranty repair, best I've had. Usually, it seems you have to fight to get things repaired under warranty.
    BBBB?-Bleach, Baking Soda, Borax, BEER!
    18' x 33' x 54" AG Pool, Vinyl Liner
    17,700 Gal
    Pump: Baquapure Workhorse Superflow, 2.5HP, 2 Spd
    Filter: Baquapure High Rate Sand Filter, 26 inch
    Baquapure Water Polishing System

Proud new Papa of a Pool Rover Junior! Born 6/20/08

15. Back To Top    #15

We love our PRJ too. We do remove the larger debris first though so we don't have to deal with the slowdown - usually a regular leaf rake or our new battery powerered vac - comes on a telescopic pole - we don't often have large debris except at start of season when we remove the cover and after storms or big winds. The PRJ does a great job, set it and forget it. The pool is clean. It is the best thing we put in our pool since the SWG and ourselves!
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!