Sta-Rite SR400LP Heater Service Light Issue

Hi to community - I have a SR400LP, ~ 10 yrs old, in pretty good condition, looks good inside. Turn on the pump, then the heater; the fan spins up, but sounds different. I would say it has a warrbling sound. The Service Heater light is on on front of the panel. The heater burner will not lite.

Opened the heater and checked the back of the display board; AFS - Red, LED11 - Red, LED9 - Green. Opening the Control Box cover the Fault Indicator Light is flashing one time - Air Flow Switch.

I placed a jumper across the air flow switch connection - Service Heater light went out and unit fired up. But the initial fire up was not the usual whoosh and the low rumble from the burner. The exhaust air flow did not seem as strong as usual but I can not be sure since I never really took notice of the exhaust in the past. Verified blower inlet is clear, motor turns, sensing tubes intact, they are soft and pliable and in place.

To me, by-passing the AFS did not tell me if I have a bad switch , a weak blower motor that can't trip the AFS, both or something else. Am I at the point to start replacing parts? AFS first, then motor next?

DW

One of two things here. Bad blower motor or the can is filled with water do to a leaking heat exchanger. To see if you have water in the can, remove one of the bottom bolts on the header and if water comes out, leaky heat exchanger. Replace heater. If no water comes out, then likely a bad blower motor.

Hi Paul,

thank you for the wise words of caution, I completely agree. I just hope to learn a little to become an educated consumer.

I think I am following your logic; if there is water in the chamber where the heated air flows over the water coils, it will create a flow blockage. All good, but when you say remove the bottom bolts on the header, is that what the manufacturer calls the manifold? (secured with 10 bolts, has water inlet and outlet connections?).

DW

I removed a bottom bolt on the manifold/header assembly and it was dry. Turned on the heater/blower. Had air coming out through the bolt hole but still dry. Also began to smell a faint
hint of burnt electrical something from around the motor (insulation most likely). I know the blower is a complete assembly but for my edification what might be the issue; shorted windings in the motor causing it to turn slower, something mechanical?. Just wanting to know if there is something I could do to better care for the system and minimize issues like this.

Since this is on the gas side of things, I will find a local tech to come in for the repair - $420 for a blower kit + labor ...Merry Christmas to me ;-)

Found a great service tech; he concurred with your call and replaced the blower. Everything is up and running now. He suggested to have a spare thermostat on hand for replacement, common issue for this model. Sounded like the biggest hazard for these units are mice and rats. Thank you for the help, another job well done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.