Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Intellichlor IC40

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Intellichlor IC40

If someone could please help.
    When our chlorinater was disconected for the winter season, there was a fitting (part) that was on one end of the chlorinator, it just rests into the fitting, i cant remember which end it goes onto, it is round and and is divided into sections, almost like a tic tac toe board. Does this go into the sensor side of the chlorinator, or the other side? Thank you for any help.
    12 x 28 Doughboy Dinosaur (j/k: Breckenridge) partial bury, continuous depth 9,000gal. Doughboy Power Pak I digital 1hp pump, Hayward Pro-Series 300lb sand filter. Foam panel base, Gladon wall foam, Gladon cove.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Intellichlor IC40

It goes on the flow input side of the chlorinator. Not sure if thats the sensor side or not. My understanding is that its used to protect the blades from larger objects (rocks?) that might get through the filter.
    14,000 gal IG Pebble Sheen, Jandy RS8/iAqualink Pool Automation, IntelliChlor IC-40 SWCG, Triton II Sand Filter, In-floor cleaning system, Pentair Intelliflo VS (Filter), Jandy Stealth 1 HP (In-Floor Cleaner), Jandy Stealth .75 HP (Water Feature), Taylor K-2006, Taylor K-1766.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

San Diego ca

Yes it protects from debris collecting on and around the sensor. Goes before water touches sensor. Believe Pentair switched sides of their mounting on new ones.

4. Back To Top    #4

San Jose, CA

I got my IC40 out for cleaning, and I noticed this grid on the exit side, which did not look right. So I got curious, and looked up this thread. As this thread says, mine was installed wrong, so I now put it on the inlet side. I can totally believe it was installed incorrectly, because there were other installation problems at my pool, too.

People before me said it is to protect from debris. Maybe. When I looked at it, I got the feeling that it is to smooth the flow of water. The IntelliChlor installation manual recommends 1 - 1 1/2 feet of straight pipe before the chlorinator, also to smooth the flow. If the flow is turbulent, it might not trigger the flow sensor or water might not flow fast enough between certain blades. At least this is my guess.

The attached image is what we think to be the correct installation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    30,000 gal IG plaster pool+spa, IC40 SWCG, cartridge filter, IntelliFlo VS, EasyTouch 8, polaris