Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying to get my water balanced

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to get my water balanced

I've read Pool School, I've bought a Taylor K2006 and did the Pool Math, but my outdoor spa looks like the black lagoon (funky smell and scum around the edge). When testing for FC, I had to add NUMEROUS (10+) dippers of R-0870 to get the 10ml sample to turn the faintest pink. When I added the R-0871, the FC reading came out to 0.4. When I added 5 drops of R-0003, it didn't turn pink, therefore, I couldn't get a CC reading. My other readings are: pH 7.0, TA 70, CH 280, CYA 37, temp is 104F. Would the fact that I'm using Bromine give false readings for anything? I've purchased some Ahh-some and am thinking of draining in and starting over. The last time I filled it was October 31st. There's two of us that use the spa for 45 minutes 2-3 times per week.

260 gallon, Bromine, no ozonator, well water, cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trying to get my water balanced

You only use one scoop of the powder. I don't think that test will do anything with bromine. Someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

From your description, your FC and CC readings are both zero. If it doesn't turn pink, at least for a moment, when you add the first scoop of R-0870, then FC is zero. If it remains clean when you add R-0003 then CC is zero. Also, it is better to do the test with a smaller (10 ml) water sample so that each drop is 0.5. That will save on reagents and provide more than enough precision for anything you might need to do.

It is possible to rescue your water, but it would take a lot of chlorine. It might well be simpler to drain the spa and start over.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll drain it. The directions on the Ahh-Some said that adequate sanitizer has to be present during treatment. Can I use bleach? How much do I use?

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, you can use bleach as the disinfectant during the Ahh-Some treatment. As for how much, the purpose is just to make sure bacteria aren't growing but with Ahh-Some dislodging material I'd have the FC at 10 ppm or thereabouts so that it doesn't get used up too quickly. However, with a really nasty spa you might consider superchlorinating in which case that's 50-100 ppm FC -- it's not for that long though since the Ahh-Some treatment is over a matter of hours, not days.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

AfterI add the bleach, how long should I run it before I add the Ahh-Some?

7. Back To Top    #7

Unless you suspect heavy biofilms, an hour at the high chlorine level should be sufficient. I wouldn't leave it for more than 8 hours.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"