Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What might have caused this?

1. Back To Top    #1

Mesa, AZ

What might have caused this?

Discharge pipe from pump disconnected(?) with such force to bend the pvc pipe.
    40k Pebble Pool with Spa Spillover
    (2) Hayward Pro-grid 6020 DE filters
    (2) Hayward pumps 1.5 hp, 1.60 sf, 2.4 thp
    Hayward H series
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Orlando, FL

Re: What might have caused this?

Quote Originally Posted by Nixid View Post
    Discharge pipe from pump disconnected(?) with such force to bend the pvc pipe.

Can you repost pics, they are not popping up for me

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

My guess is that the flow was completely blocked somehow, and the water in the pump and connected pipe seriously overheated, weakening the PVC. With flow completely blocked, the pressure would be roughly 40 psi, and with the pipe weakened from the heat it could easily fail. That doesn't tell us where the blockage was however.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Friendswood, TX

^Agreed! Heat definitely involved!
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Any chance freezing blocked the line and caused it to overheat like Jason said?
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

6. Back To Top    #6
    Longview, Texas

Holy Cow!
    Yeah, that got hot!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

I had a similar thing and mine was caused by the failure of a check valve between the pump and filter. It was the flap type valve and the flap tore loose and got wedged so that it blocked the water flow. I don't see a check valve in your set up but, I agree something blocked the water flow causing the water to overheat. Block that flow long enough and the water will boil.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

San Diego ca

Awful plumb job and pump running dry (heat)