New fiberglass pool in McKinney TX

Oct 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
We finally pulled the trigger and decided to put a pool in! After a couple of years of research and hemming & hawing we decided on fiberglass and chose Aquamarine Pools of Texas. We chose the Liberty Lincoln (made by Viking) which gives us a nice sized pool with a functional shallow and deep (5'9") end that's not too deep for my super short wife :) It also has a great seat around the deep end edge for adults/kids to sit around. Overall a great design for our yard and what we were looking for. The most amazing thing about our build is that it took 9 DAYS from first dig to final walk through this morning!! Now just to get the pH balance, salt level, etc. in check and get it all cleaned up. Next project is to have the remainder of the yard surrounding the pool landscaped out with pavers, firepit, etc. SO READY FOR SUMMER! Here are a few pics...

Ready to swim!!

It looks like you skipped the coping all together and went with a cantilevered deck edge. Excellent choice, if you ever want to go with a SWG you will be happy with that choice.

looks great! I love that shape and the bench!

I am guessing you already have a good test kit to help with the water balance? If not look below at my siggy for the link. THAT will allow you to take control of your water.

Kim

Actually, we did go with a SWG to start. We thought about coping but the cantilevered edge just looked cleaner and different from every other pool around here. We also will be having the cool deck stuff applied in about a month...thinking a light tan color.

Are you going with Kool Deck or with a textured acrylic coating? Kool Deck is cooler than acrylic, but is more porous (prone to staining) and doesn't hold up near as well.

I have acrylic and my neighbor has Kool Deck. After three years or so, his was looking faded, by five years peeling. Mine is ten years old and still looks good, and to make it like new, just takes rolling a new top coat on.

Yes, we are going to get coat it in about a month (per our builder the concrete needs that long to fully cure).

Didn't know about Textured Acrylic...will look into that versus Kool Deck. Thanks for the insight on the differences. We are thinking a light tan color to complement the flagstone rear wall and future paver hardscape seating areas we are doing next.

Are you going with Kool Deck or with a textured acrylic coating? Kool Deck is cooler than acrylic, but is more porous (prone to staining) and doesn't hold up near as well.

I have acrylic and my neighbor has Kool Deck. After three years or so, his was looking faded, by five years peeling. Mine is ten years old and still looks good, and to make it like new, just takes rolling a new top coat on.

- - - Updated - - -

Question fellow fiberglass owner...look at the finished picture. Is the white band between the cantilevered concrete and the blue shell normal? It's the strip they attached to the shell which allowed them to attach the concrete forms and such. Just stands out quite a bit against the blue shell. Wonder if that's way some people tile theirs.

Thoughts??

Congrats on the new pool! Yes, summer can't come soon enough, can it?
Always glad to see another fiberglass pool owner- we're quite the minority here.

This looks really nice. You don't see a lot of fiberglass pools in this area, so it's good to see some variety. Maybe I'm crazy, but I actually like the white line (at least based on the pictures).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool is a standard gunite pool with pebbletec finish and ceramic tile at water line. The only thing it has in common with yours is the cantilevered deck. Well that and that little white plastic strip around the top. So I'm thinking it's needed when you install the deck that way.

My pool is a standard gunite pool with pebbletec finish and ceramic tile at water line. The only thing it has in common with yours is the cantilevered deck. Well that and that little white plastic strip around the top. So I'm thinking it's needed when you install the deck that way.

I think you're right...I have done some more research and the strip is there to allow for the cantilever concrete pour. Looking at adding waterline tile to cover it up now.

We are about to add waterline tile to jazz up the pool and the installer told me the white line is there to hide the gap between the cantilever deck and pool shell. When they install the tile, they will also remove the white line and replace it with a silicone based filler that is tinted to hide it better but still fill the gap.

The deck and pool shell need to be able to move independently. You can imagine some expansion of the deck when heated by the sun, so there needs to be something there that allows the deck to move without damaging the shell or waterline tile.

Hey neighbor (mckinneymagnum)! :wave: Just down the road from you in Marion. Had our Viking Poseidon installed in Apr 2013 (link below to our build). Amazing how your soil is so different than our black "gumbo" soil just a few minutes away. Curious - the pic where you show the base material laid before inserting the pool ... is that sand or did they use gravel? Very nice pool by the way.

After getting home and letting my brain settle, I mis-read McKinney for McQueeny Texas. :eek: Anyways, looking forward to more pics later.

Hey Pat,

Just now seeing your post from the other day. I have been on the road a ton lately and just now getting caught up on the Forum. Our soil, or lack of, is pretty bad and bedrock comes FAST. As for the install, they laid down about 3-4" (I think) of pea gravel and smoothed it level then lowered in the shell. Back filled with the same type of pea gravel. Thanks!

Well, we are 99.99% done with the install (only need the white 'band' to be replaced but weather here in Texas has put that on hold). Either way, here are the BEFORE (just paint outlines), MIDDLE (hole dug) and END (taken last week). We are loving it!

BEFORE:

MIDDLE:

END:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.