Whisperflo pump won't start

jpcdmd

Nov 7, 2007
A couple weeks ago I replaced the seal plate gasket on my Pentair Whisperflo 1.5 hp pump to fix a leak. It no longer leaked and ran fine for a week or two before I noticed it was not running and the breaker was tripped. Never had an issue with the pump other than this recent leak. Pump is from 2007. I'm not experiencing the humming noise before tripping, that some others have noticed with a bad start capacitor. I just get nothing. I can't get the breaker to stay on at all. Should I replace the start capacitor anyway? What else should I test?

A couple weeks ago I replaced the seal plate gasket on my Pentair Whisperflo 1.5 hp pump to fix a leak. It no longer leaked and ran fine for a week or two before I noticed it was not running and the breaker was tripped. Never had an issue with the pump other than this recent leak. Pump is from 2007. I'm not experiencing the humming noise before tripping, that some others have noticed with a bad start capacitor. I just get nothing. I can't get the breaker to stay on at all. Should I replace the start capacitor anyway? What else should I test?

Usually an issue like that is sourced to a bad capacitor or the motor dying. How familiar are you with multimeter? If you are handy then checking the CAP shouldn't be too hard. Test the cap leads and also check the power source while you're at it.

If you are no familiar with testing electrical equipment, then I would do as Brushpup suggests and get a qualified electrician

Well I got a multimeter and tested the capacitor on top of the pump and it tested fine. I even to it to an electric motor repair shop and they tested it too. I also tested the breaker and thought the breaker was bad so I replaced it. I installed the new breaker and it still would not work.

I pulled the breaker (with the panel still supplied with power) and reinstalled it and noticed it tripped upon seating into the panel. I flipped the switch back to the on position on and tested the breaker and could not get any reading out of it. I turned off power to the panel, reinstalled the breaker, turned power to the panel back on, and the breaker would not trip. However, no power reading with the multimeter and no juice to the pump. The impeller also spins freely. I really hate to call a professional to come look at it but I think I'm at a loss here. Any recommendations for an electrician in Phoenix?

I replaced the motor with a refurb unit from a local pool motor repair shop. Installed it, wired it up, and It won't power up. I have a few breakers in the sub panel for the pump and pool light and a few outlets, all of which test ok at the terminal screws with the multimeter except for the breaker for the pump. It's a brand new breaker because I thought the previous one was bad. I removed the breaker and tested the contacts which the breaker sits on on the bus bar and there's power. But I can't get a reading on the breaker's terminal screws when the breaker is installed. This is driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE....ugh I fixed it. I wasn't flipping the breaker ALL THE WAY to the off position before flipping it back on, I was only flipping it half way thinking it was off, so it was never resetting. I'm a dumba**

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.