Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Piers or no piers in North Texas?

1. Back To Top    #1

Piers or no piers in North Texas?

Hello All!

Very excited to be here, but very nervous to be starting this process to become a brand new pool owner. We've narrowed our PB search down to 2 we like; however one insists they will not build a pool without piers in our town, the other (who happens to be the oldest pool company in DFW) said their engineer said we don't need them. I'm just wondering what other North Texas pool owners have done in this situation.

I have so many questions, so you'll be hearing from me a lot...but this one has me stumped and I can't move forward.

We are looking at having an independent engineer give us their opinion. We're also waiting for our builder to send us a soil test. But in the meantime, I'd love to hear your opinions.

Thank you!
    Janice

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Piers or no piers in North Texas?

Hello Janice and welcome to the forums. Be sure to read pool school: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/
    Lots of good info.

Its a small point but install the skimmer downwind side of the pool. It will assist with skimming. If your electric rates are less than $.30 KWH then get a 2-speed for energy savings.

Good luck.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

The need for piers very much depends on your local soil conditions so it is difficult for us to comment. There are also other things that can be done to eliminate or at least minimize the need for piers.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I would definitely trust an engineer over a pool builder.
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by zethacat View Post
    I would definitely trust an engineer over a pool builder.
    It's odd that the one without the engineer is the one saying they need piers. If I had to have piers on a pool I had put in I'd want like a 50 year warranty on cracks . That's some serious reinforcement for a hole in the ground. We're having a new section added at work. In previous expansions we've had to drive metal I beam piers. This time we had to dig 64 50ft holes with concrete and rebar to reinforce the pad the new equipment is going on. I guess I depends on code and the specific soil sample they get. Definitely get a third quote and a decent warranty.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

We are smack in the middle of black clay north texas dirt. We have piers under the house and it still moves. We do not have piers under our pool. Our pool builder who lives down the street doesn't have piers under his pool. We put drip irrigation around the pool after the first year with some movement. Our pool still moves a little, but a lot less than it did the first year without drip irrigation. Even soil moisture is the key to minimize movement here. We discussed piers with our PB and he pretty much said no way. Dirt here moves up and down, it doesn't only sink. He said he has seen pool shells ripped of their piers when the dirt moves up. Our pool shell has a lifetime warranty.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I live in Highland Village and have had my pool for 20 years with no piers. As someone stated earlier my shell (pool) is warranteed to hold water for life. So far I have had no problems with the pool moving but am trying to find a leak which is probably in a fiiting.
    16,400 gallon
    Cartridge Filter
    IG
    Plaster
    Intelli-Flo @ 2000rpm

8. Back To Top    #8

When we lived in Plano we had a pool built by Sandler Pools and they did not use piers. Now this was back in 1987 but we lived in that house for 10 years and never had 1 issue with that pool. (Unlike my current pool)
    28k gal/raised spa, IG quartzscape, WhistperFlo 2 speed B2984T,DEV60 filter,Lxi400 NG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner, DIY Chlorine injection, Build completion 7/2013

9. Back To Top    #9

No piers.. lots of rebar, Waxahachie here.
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you for all of the responses. We're definitely leaning towards "no piers". I appreciate all of your input!