Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Variable speed pool settings

1. Back To Top    #1

Variable speed pool settings

I just installed a Hayward Max-Flo VS. I have it running at 1500RPM, 23hrs a day. according to the manual, Max flow rate for 1.5" PVC @ 3000rpm is 45gpm.

Any way to calculate head loss and plumbing etc.. The pool is 15ft from the pump at about 2ft above the water line.

Does it help if I run it faster, then slower throughout the day or as long as there's enough water turn over?
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Variable speed pool settings

You asked "does it help..." What are you trying to accomplish?
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

3. Back To Top    #3

If you have a lot of heads, and good circulation when the pump is running, then just run it as needed to keep it clean day to day (not withstanding dust storms for example).

You just need to evenly distribute the chemicals and clear off the dirt/debris. You didn't say if you have a Kreepy, or a vac brush, or whatever, so you'll have to dial that in by trial and error.

I run mine at 80%, and I came to that number by seeing how good the circulation was and how well my floor jets were clearing the dirt at that speed. Then I run at 30% at night just to keep some water circulating after the bleach goes in. less hours in the winter, more in the summer.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

1000rpm is the most efficient speed as far as $ to move water. That may or may not be enough for adequate skimming action.

No real reason to try to calculate head loss.

Have you read this? Determine Pump Run Time
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for all the response. Here's a little background of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Since we've only been pool owner for a couple months, I don't know what our pool usage would be like but my guess is, we will probably not think about jumping into the pool until at least late May early June when the outside temperature reaches 80-ish degrees through late September when things cool down a bit I will probably turn off the pool heater.

So Between Oct to June all I really want is to keep the water clear so we can enjoy looking at it. So during this time, I'd like to run the pool pump most efficiently in term of power wise while maintaining the pool water clarity.

For the summer time, I still have no clue where to start.
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

6. Back To Top    #6

Water quality is established with proper chlorine levels and a pump needs only about 1-2 hours of run time for proper chlorine distribution. After that, run time is just about removing debris which is optional.

We are in the same area and I run my pump only 4 hours per day in the summer, 1 hour on high speed and 3 hours on low speed. I could go with less run time if my SWG could produce more chlorine in less time.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Water quality is established with proper chlorine levels and a pump needs only about 1-2 hours of run time for proper chlorine distribution. After that, run time is just about removing debris which is optional.

We are in the same area and I run my pump only 4 hours per day in the summer, 1 hour on high speed and 3 hours on low speed. I could go with less run time if my SWG could produce more chlorine in less time.
    That's the exact answer I was looking for. However, I don't have an SWG, coincidentally I was reading up on it and it seems to pay for itself over time over the cost of chemicals. Would you recommend adding one? I have a 2100G pool and can't seem to find a decent one that won't break the bank.
    SF Bay

8. Back To Top    #8

Forum members are split on using a SWG or not. I'm in the 50% who have one, and I love it. Having a SWG does add some complexity (thinking about the salt level, replacing the cell every few years, more things to break down), but they more than make up for it by reducing the work you need to do every day, for me at least.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

+1 to what Jason said. It more about convenience to me than cost. Also, with proper chem balance, you might find like I did that your cell will last a very long time (9.5 years). So I think in my situation, it has paid for itself.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater