Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Puck question???

1. Back To Top    #1

Puck question???

Hi,
    I am a new pool owner using the tfp method and have had zero problems so far (only 3 months). I recently went on vacation for a week and put 4 pucks in a floater with the bottom windows open half way. when I returned I had not dissolved any tabs. my reading was 12 ppm when I left and 10 when I returned. I dumped a 121 oz bleach before I left to get the 12ppm. my question is do the tabs have a binding agent that will not allow them to dissolve with high chlorine? or did I not have the "window" open enough?
    I'm not to worried about it because I never dropped below 4 ppm which is what I was afraid of. just curious at this point.
    I do not plan on using the tabs except for long 5+ days vacations. about 3 per year.

Thanks for all the help thus far.
    Mike
    16x32 20,000 gal
    Above Ground Plaster Pool
    Pentair Cartarige Clean & Clear Plus 420
    Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump
    TF-100 test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Puck question???

The tabs, when immersed, produce chlorine continuously......there is no "binding agent"

Usually, lack of water circulation will slow the tab erosion considerably.......and your thought that the window wasn't open enough may well be the case.

Like you, I would not be too concerned....just tweak it next time.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I needed a little more CYA in my pool so I put 2 or 3 tabs in the skimmer basket as a test. I wanted to simulate a week long vacation. They were gone in 3 days. Lots of water movement there. It raised my FC from 7 to around 10 in those 3 days. Then it slowly dropped to about 3.5 over the next 3 days. So, in my case, I'm going to raise my FC to about 10 before I leave and drop tabs in there. Then when I get home, I should be close to 4 or 5 on the FC chart. You could do a similar test and then you would know exactly what to set everything to when you leave.
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kris77 View Post
    I needed a little more CYA in my pool so I put 2 or 3 tabs in the skimmer basket as a test. I wanted to simulate a week long vacation. They were gone in 3 days. Lots of water movement there. It raised my FC from 7 to around 10 in those 3 days. Then it slowly dropped to about 3.5 over the next 3 days. So, in my case, I'm going to raise my FC to about 10 before I leave and drop tabs in there. Then when I get home, I should be close to 4 or 5 on the FC chart. You could do a similar test and then you would know exactly what to set everything to when you leave.
    We do not recommend putting chlorine tablets into your skimmer ... with the caveat that if you leave the pump on 24/7, then any damage to the equipment from the acidic water will be minimized.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

yes, the pump was on the whole time. I remembered you guys saying not to put them in the skimmer and leave them there with the pump not on or on a timer. Would a floater be best for this then?
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

6. Back To Top    #6

If the pump is not on 24/7, then a floater or inline chlorinator should be used. Even with the pump on all the time, I would recommend useing one of the other methods also.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP Mike,

Even if your Chlorine was high, it would become higher by adding a puck. Having high Chlorine would not slow the process of more Chlorine being added to the water.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Good advice already provided here. FWIW-I agree with your idea of supplementing with pucks when going away. I do the same thing and it works beautifully.
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater