What size eco pump to get

Feb 3, 2015
Miramar/FL
Sorry for hijacking this, but I have a similar question.

We are doing Energy Efficiency improvements at home, we did A/C change last year, and doing Solar Panels and Solar Water Heater now. Contractor offered to install new Energy Efficient Pool Pump for FREE ( I have to buy the Pool Pump)

My current system is:
12,500 Gallon Pool
Ground Level Pool Heater with 15-60 GPM flow
2 inch pipes

I run the pool pump on average 5 hours a day during the year.

Pool Pump must be the original one that came with the House assuming that pool was put in when the house was build in 2002 (not sure that is the case)
I had to change the motor twice now, in span of 1.5 years. Current motor was installed 6 months ago and came with 2 year warranty. THP = 0.80
I think it is efficient one speed 10.8/5.4 Amps HP 0.80 and SF 1.00

What pool pump would you suggest to replace it? Or should I just wait until it dies?

I read about EcoPump, pricing is:
Warranty 3 years but can be increased to 5 years for $99

.75 HP 1 AMP on low .23 KW per Hour 25 Gallons per min
755 + 30 (switch) + 49 (Shipping)

1 HP 1.4 AMP on low .32 KW per Hour 30 Gallons per min
776 + 30 (switch) + 49 (Shipping)

Need to hook up switch which has Low Off High options, pool cleaning time you would run it no High.

My other options given to me by the contractor for the Solar are:
http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/...Pump/80291p1?gclid=CICEz-_kscMCFTQF7AodwgcAxA = Pentair WhisperFlo 1HP WFE-4 $471 + Shipping Probably (1 year warranty)

http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/pentair-011511-whisperflo-energy-efficient-pool-pump/131084p1 = Pentair WhisperFlo .5HP WFE-2 $405 + Shipping Probably (1 year warranty)

So which option should I go with, which one will work with my setup and offer best energy savings?
Or should I just wait for the current Motor/Pump to die on me? (I can always try to sell it on eBay/Craigslist)

I would skip the VS pump and go with a two speed. You will get most of the savings at a lower cost. One option is to swap out the current pump's motor for a two speed motor. No plumbing changes that way.

A Whisperflo is probably way more pump than you need so if you want a Pentair pump, I would go with a SuperFlo 1 HP two speed. If you want a Hayward, the MaxFlo XL 1 HP two speed (might fit the current unions). Both are very good efficient pumps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.