Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing pink, not red

1. Back To Top    #1

Palm Desert, CA

Testing pink, not red

I'm new to testing and want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. When I test for CH the test turns pink, not red. When I test for TA it also is pink, not red. I'm assuming I reach the endpoint when the next drop I add does nothing to deepen the color. Is this pink correct or maybe I have old reagents (I purchased the test kit a few months ago). My test kit says "when the color turns red"... not pink, so I'm confused. Thanks.
    Last edited by LisaDLu; 02-04-2015 at 09:03 PM. Reason: posted in wrong section
    17,000 gallon inground pool; Plaster redone January 2015; Pentair Cartridge Filter; SWG; Age of pool unknown (house built in 1973); Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Testing pink, not red

The exact shade of red/pink is not important. Anything in the red/pink family is fine.

The exact shade of color you see depends on several other levels, and does not affect the test.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Typically it looks Barbie pink. But if the FC level is high, it can go to yellowish.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Typically it looks Barbie pink. But if the FC level is high, it can go to yellowish.
    True, and if it does turn yellow on the TA test, it's because there isn't enough Sodium Thiosulfate added to scavenge the Chlorine.

Put another drop or two of R-0007 in the test if it turns yellow.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr