Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter Water - where is it going?

1. Back To Top    #1

Winter Water - where is it going?

HI - first timer on this forum, in-ground gunite pool owner for 20+ years, Wakefield, MA - currently 40" of snow sitting on my cover...

For the past two years I'm noticing that my cover (and water) is being push WAY down by the weight of the snow that sits on my cover. Someone told me that it comes out the top of the pool but that's not the case in my situation as we got a light snow and the cover was sinking (pre-frozen in Dec). It's now about 3 feet below the level it was when I closed the pool (I don't drain any water when I close for the season).

Can it be getting pushed out thru my center drain in the deep end? I don't have any leaks during pool season and this has only started happening about two years ago. The water level is below the light so I don't think it could be that. Any insight would be helpful and very much appreciated.

20150201_094920.jpg

Thanks
    Dave Castine
    Wakefield, MA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Winter Water - where is it going?

Welcome to TFP!

First, let me say how glad I am that I don't have 40" of snow right now!

What kind of cover do you have, and is your pool equipment below the normal water level? Any open plumbing at the equipment end?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Water can be pushed up the side walls of the pool, but you would need to have something like ten or fifteen feet of snow before it pushed up the walls enough to get out of the pool. Water should not be able to get out through the bottom drain at all.

The most likely cause of ongoing lowering of the cover over the winter is a slow leak. It is fairly easy for a leak to be slow enough that you might not notice it at all during regular pool season. Unfortunately, slow leaks are especially difficult to find, and you can't even look for one until the pool is opened in the spring.

There is another possibility which seems less likely, but could perhaps account for what is going on. The cover should be set so it goes straight down the side walls and lays flat across the water. In your picture I see much more of a slope down the sides than you normally want to see. If there is tension holding the sides up above the water the center can sink down into the water, while the water under the cover moves to the sides. This can allow the center to get much lower than the average water depth would normally allow. However, 3' seems like too much for this to account for. This effect is usually limited to 1' or less. It could be that the lowering water level has caused the slope of the cover, not the other way around, in which case this does not account for what is happening at all.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Guys - I have a Loop-Lock Safety cover - attached to 48 anchors around the pool's concrete pool deck. All equipment is detached and stored, pipes blown out and sealed (plugged on both ends and filled with antifreeze just in case). Added another 24" since Monday - ugh! That deck railing on the left is 5' above the ground...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dcastine; 03-04-2015 at 12:18 PM. Reason: remove pic

5. Back To Top    #5

I can't help... But holy ****!!!
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

6. Back To Top    #6

As much as I hate to say it, having the need for 24 of water even since Monday last week would indicate a leak. As Jason mentioned you won't be able to search until spring thaw. I'm curious how you know you've lost 2' of water. I'm not questioning your judgment, but how do you tell that with all that weather?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

He means added another 24" of snow to the ground, not 24" of water to the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    He means added another 24" of snow to the ground, not 24" of water to the pool.
    DOH!!

Nevermind......carry on. I'm going under my desk for a while.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
    As much as I hate to say it, having the need for 24 of water even since Monday last week would indicate a leak. As Jason mentioned you won't be able to search until spring thaw. I'm curious how you know you've lost 2' of water. I'm not questioning your judgment, but how do you tell that with all that weather?
    Easy....20150220_081209.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Not going to worry about it now - it is what it is... I keep thinking about the ad where they use the Elephant to show the strength of the Loop-Lock covers.... LOL

10. Back To Top    #10

That's what you get for speed reading BP! I vote for the slow leak theory myself.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

11. Back To Top    #11

Sorry, the Blackhawks lost tonight and I had an extra beer (or two). Is the picture in post 4 BEFORE the picture in post 1 and 9? 4 looks like mine.... 1 and 9 look like a leak.

12. Back To Top    #12

RIP!!!! Oh well, time to see if the pool will pop out of the ground.... sonofa...

20150222_153503.jpg

13. Back To Top    #13

dammit man!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

14. Back To Top    #14

yeah - I'm bummed, just spent 15k on concrete work and having the pool restored. Oh well, if this is my biggest problem I'm a lucky guy. I'll keep everyone updated, I'm going to start blowing snow into the pool - 40 degrees today (woo hoo!)

15. Back To Top    #15

That's too bad the cover ripped.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter