Hydrostatic Release Valves?? -Need help

Dec 24, 2014
Temecula, Ca
Hey everyone,

Looking for some advice on hydrostatic release valves. I live in a area that is relatively dry but in the process of the dig we have encountered one wet area of soil, the pool builder is installing a hydrostatic release valve as a "precaution" though he says its not even remotely necessary. Is this something I need in my pool?

I have read a lot on here about them getting stuck open, leak issues, and issues with water chemistry as a result. If I don't need it and it really contributes to pool water issues that much id rather not have it. Ill post a pic of the soil conditions as soon as possible tomorrow, there are multiple in my build thread. Soil water levels are not an issue in our area, this is from over irrigation on the property above mine. We don't shoot for a few days so I have time to pull it out if needed.

Thanks a ton in advance! This has been bugging me the last two weeks

-Justin

Keep in mind that about the only time you see a hydrostatic valve mentioned on the forum is when someone is having problems with them. There are probably thousands out there not giving a problem and therefore not even noticed by the pool owner. If the builder thinks it's necessary, I'd defer to his judgment. It in all likelihood will never cause you a problem. Look it as insurance and don't worry about it.

Keep in mind that about the only time you see a hydrostatic valve mentioned on the forum is when someone is having problems with them. There are probably thousands out there not giving a problem and therefore not even noticed by the pool owner. If the builder thinks it's necessary, I'd defer to his judgment. It in all likelihood will never cause you a problem. Look it as insurance and don't worry about it.

Thanks!

Anyone else on here with one that can share some words of wisdom on how glad they are or are not to have one in their pool? Experiences with them not malfunctioning and working well when needed, I kind of wish the builder never mentioned he was doing one at this point so I just didn't know, because like Bama Rambler said the only things on the forum are all issues with them

While problems certainly do happen, they are really from just a tiny portion of the people who have such valves. The great majority never have an issue.

The goal of a hydrostatic release valve is to prevent the pool from floating out of the ground by allowing ground water to enter the pool and equalize the pressure if you ever get in a situation where the pool might float out of the ground. Pools floating out of the ground are rare, but they are fantastically expensive to repair when they do happen. Most people find a hydrostatic release valve, even with their occasional problems, to be very inexpensive insurance against that drastically more expensive problem.

While problems certainly do happen, they are really from just a tiny portion of the people who have such valves. The great majority never have an issue.

The goal of a hydrostatic release valve is to prevent the pool from floating out of the ground by allowing ground water to enter the pool and equalize the pressure if you ever get in a situation where the pool might float out of the ground. Pools floating out of the ground are rare, but they are fantastically expensive to repair when they do happen. Most people find a hydrostatic release valve, even with their occasional problems, to be very inexpensive insurance against that drastically more expensive problem.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.