Understanding Leslie's DPD Kit

colorfaux

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 28, 2015
austin/tx
Unfortunately I bought this $75 kit before finding this forum. I'm sure it's fine and I will get the recommended additional kit. I have tested the CYA several times and that black dot NEVER disappears. It does fade.

Also, the chlorine reading - it appears the TC and FC are the same, so my reading is zero? I might not understand how to read the comparator tube. They both read as 3. My pool water is clear.

I am asking because I have another question and I know you will need the chemistry. Here's the other question:
The Aqua rite chlorine generator lights are all off and cannot get a reading. I have learned through this forum to change the "black quarter" part. I have ordered the part and am waiting. I also found the yellow wire to the fuse is burnt and changed the connector. The board is 2 years old according to the prior owner and it worked until we started trying to fix the pool light (install relay and hook up wires). Pool light is another question for another day!

PH is 8 with 1 drop to restore to 7.4
Calcium turns red with 20 drops to turn purple.
alkalinity is 60ppm

- - - Updated - - -

I have a cartridge filter - not clay. need to change my signature.

TC - FC = CC, so your CC reading is zero, which is a good thing. The number you usually monitor is FC, which is read directly from the test.

Your PH is a little high, you should lower it just a little, say to 7.5 or 7.6.

The CH test turning purple is called a fading end point, you can read more about that here[url].

Well that's a relief considering the chlorine generator has not worked for a week. If the chlorine gets low while we are waiting for the part, can we add bleach manually?

Meanwhile I'll add muriatic acid to lower the PH.

So happy I found this forum! Thank you.

Hi Colorfaux,
regarding the water around the bottom of your filter.

Its likely coming from the drain plug
Directly below the pipes all the way on the bottom is an inset in the filter housing. In that inset is a drain plug.
It either just needs a tweak of tightening, or perhaps the O ring on the plug got damaged, or maybe the o ring just needs some lubrication on it. But its my bet thats why there is water around the filter.

Sounds like you are off to a good start. I do highly recommend you add the recommended FAS-DPD Chlorine Test to your kit though.

I don't think anyone addressed your CYA question. If the dot does not disappear when doing the test outside with your back to the sun, then you CYA level is low (< 20ppm). Your SWG will work less if you bumped that CYA up toward the recommended 70-80ppm: Water Balance for SWGs

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.