Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noob Winter question...

1. Back To Top    #1

Noob Winter question...

Hi,
    I live in NJ and just got slammed with a ton of snow that has been accumulating for the past month on and off. Now we have huge mounds of snow (approx. 3+ feet) everywhere, including my backyard. I will building an in-ground pool in a couple of months and was wondering, what am I to do when I have the pool in the ground and next winter drops a boat-load of snow on my pool? Just want to be a little pro-active here.
    Sorry if this is a noob question but I'm sure there's a lot that I need to do to prepare and "winterize" the pool, just don't know what the check-list might include.

Thanks for everyones input and help in advance!!
    May 2015: 17K Viking Caribbean Fiberglass IG pool (16'x40'), PAL lighting three 2T4 LED's (inside pool), Hayward DE 6020, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, SWG TCell15, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump, Hayward Omnilogic automation + Sense & Dispense (HLCHEM).
    Rest of the backyard ideas/wish list: 12 x 20 Pergola, 48" Round Firepit, Accent/Landscape lighting, Outdoor movie theatre and music (projector & speakers), etc...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Noob Winter question...

Once you winterize the pool it is fine if snow piles up on top of it. For more details on winterizing, see the article in Pool School on winterizing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Noob Winter question...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Once you winterize the pool it is fine if snow piles up on top of it. For more details on winterizing, see the article in Pool School on winterizing.
    Read the article! Good stuff!! Thx for your help JasonLion.
    May 2015: 17K Viking Caribbean Fiberglass IG pool (16'x40'), PAL lighting three 2T4 LED's (inside pool), Hayward DE 6020, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, SWG TCell15, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump, Hayward Omnilogic automation + Sense & Dispense (HLCHEM).
    Rest of the backyard ideas/wish list: 12 x 20 Pergola, 48" Round Firepit, Accent/Landscape lighting, Outdoor movie theatre and music (projector & speakers), etc...