Removing a Hayward Chlorine Feeder (CL220)

FlyAU98

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
The chlorine feeder was installed by the previous owners...I haven't used it, but water is still flowing through it.

While replacing my pool pump motor over the weekend, I touched the plastic nut that secures the feeder's supply line to the pool plumbing (its connected via a tap, secured to the PVC pipe by a metal band.

The plastic nut literally disintegrated, like it was made of sand. Everything is still holding together right now, but I imagine the plastic supply line will blow out eventually. The fitting the nut was screwed to seems to be intact and strong.

Has anyone found a way to cap these off without replacing the PVC pipe. (I'm thinking of something like a valve stem cap for a tire)

I don't have the time this week to get into a PVC replacement project, so I'd like a temporary solution.

Not the best picture for this purpose, but its dark out...
Setup Closeup.jpg

I can't tell a lot from this picture, but I'm guessing the tube fitting screws in with a regular NPT thread. I would pick up a threaded plug, unscrew the tube fitting, and replace it with the plug. A 3/8" plug is likely what you need, but I can't tell from this picture what size the tubing is. It looks too big to be 1/4" from here. Can you get a close up shot of the fittings, and one shot backed off just a couple of feet?

If you wind up needing what I suggest, you'll need to go somewhere that has a lot of PVC fittings, and my first suggestion would be an irrigation supply house. They have all sizes without worry, and 3/8" may be hard to find elsewhere in PVC.

Chlorine Feeder1.jpg

Chlorine Feeder5.jpg

Chlorine Feeder2.jpg
Just another shot of the tube, this is the feeder I want to get rid of.

Chlorine Feeder3.jpg
Tubing leading out of the fitting I want to cap

Chlorine Feeder4.jpg
This is on the threaded area. Its probably not an perfectly correct reading, as I was trying not to do any more damage to the nut, and hold the camera...in the dark :)

If you remove the clamp, fitting and fitting gasket, there will only be a 3/8" hole in the pvc. The hole is not threaded. The fastest and easiest way to plug the hole is to use a hose clamp to hold a flat piece of rubber over the hole. You will need to do this for both holes.

Another option is to cut a coupling in half and then in half again and glue a piece over the hole. You can clamp the piece in place until the glue dries (about 12 hours would be best). The system should be off until the glue dries. Also, you need to avoid the part of the coupling that has the inside lip as that would prevent the piece from making good contact. You can sand or scrape out the lip if necessary.

Another option would be to tap threads into the hole and screw in a plug.

great Post, JamesW. I never would've thought about using the coupling.

At HD or Lowe's, I have seen black repair tape that sorta' looks like thick, stretchy electrical tape. You apparently just wrap this tape around the pipe and it is supposed to hold under normal household psi, which would be adequate for a pool pipe repair. Anyone ever used it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.