Algae Spots on Waterline Tile

Jul 29, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It has not been particularly problematic but every few days I have small round algae spots (black algae I would assume) that show up on the grout lines between the waterline tiles around the pool. Its typically in more shadow prone areas, corners and about an inch or two above the waterline so its not getting much contact with chlorine. What is the best preventative treatment for this? Regular brushing is what I do now but they grow back.

Brian

Thanks for the bump there Butterfly.

duraleigh said:
Are you brushing with a fairly strong chlorine solution?

No, I have simply been brushing every three days or so. Should I maybe use a spray bottle of bleach? Are the spots fairly typical as I have described by the way? I have zero algae in the pool other than these spots on the tiles with water test results pretty close to what would be described as ideal for all categories.

Brian

Since it resides above the waterline, I doubt it's algae but rather some kinda' mold, fungus, moss, etc.

Regardless, I would mix about a 50/50 solution of clorox in a plastic spray bottle and spray it down. My guess is you'll have to do it every couple of days for a while (brushing in between) but I'll be pretty surprised if the chlorine doesn't kill it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.