Restoration IG Vinyl- Cartersville GA

Jun 18, 2012
N. Georgia
Hello All,

We bought a foreclosure in 2013 and have slowly been getting everything fixed up. We've done everything from resurfacing to moving the entire equipment pad to finishing a studded out pool house. All the while fixing up a house that was equally in disrepair. We got to enjoy our pool for 1 summer now and look forward to many more!

The beginning.

When we were putting in our offer we were hopeful the pool would just be a swamp. After peeling back the cover we weren't so lucky...

Our first step was to get the pool pumped out and cleaned up a bit to see what we had.

Note the original equipment location in this picture. I was fortunate to have enough slack to move the sub panel without running a new line for it or putting in a junction.

We then paid to have everything resurfaced and the liner installed. The only thing we paid for of this whole project and in hindsight I could have done myself. Kudos to the guy though he resurfaced and hung the liner as a 1 man show. Yep hung the liner all by himself!

Here is the liner being vacuumed into place with the pool being filled.

The previous owners "built" a pool house and likely as an after thought to the equipment pad. Not his fault as it was likely constructed long after the original dig.

This didn't work for future plans so I moved everything behind the pool house for aesthetics and noise pollution.

Most recently I got around to cementing a proper pad for my equipment. *the pipes aren't buried properly because I am still adding 2 fountains and don't want to move the dirt twice. Also don't fault me for all of the collars. The pool people are VERY proud of their $30~ new threaded fittings. Anybody know of a good source for these?

Here are some shots of the pool house 90% complete. Just need to button up the trim and add some cabinets/counters. I had to run all new electrical and plumbing. I also added drops for both cold/hot although I have no HW just yet. I've got an idea to use solar heating on that when I get to it.

Outdoor shower that will eventually have some panels added for privacy.

Toilet (winterized).

Through the entire reno I've had a major leak I "fixed" twice. The first time I didn't do it right and it seeped on me. So I finally used a loop to cement everything in for good. Thankfully this was on the upper side that the decking is minimal.

And here is some of the future plans. The retaining wall will be removed with only a 6' section remaining for the fountains (circles). Will also add a retaining wall behind to increase the deck area. My awesome paint skills...ha

Thanks for reading I'll update as I complete more things on the list!

What an undertaking! Good job so far!

Threaded unions-I got mine from Lowes. Not sure how much they cost but NOT $30! OUCH!

When you take down the retaining wall and put in the patio-will you build another retaining wall? My thoughts are you will have a MESS of red clay (got to love that GA clay!) in your pool if you do not.

Kim who also bought a foreclosed home. Took us three months to get it "move in ready". We were lucky that it was all stuff we could do ourselves!

What an undertaking! Good job so far!

Threaded unions-I got mine from Lowes. Not sure how much they cost but NOT $30! OUCH!

When you take down the retaining wall and put in the patio-will you build another retaining wall? My thoughts are you will have a MESS of red clay (got to love that GA clay!) in your pool if you do not.

Kim who also bought a foreclosed home. Took us three months to get it "move in ready". We were lucky that it was all stuff we could do ourselves!

Thanks for looking!

I'll have to check Lowes/HD again. I couldn't find any of the "pool style" unions with orings.

And absolutely I'll be building another retaining wall. In the early pics you see some fresh gravel by the equipment. That was a temporary french drain to keep the nasty GA red clay away from the pool (neighbor told me it leaked in so I didn't risk it on my freshly painted rails and made the drain before the new liner went in).

We were also fortunate to have a few month transition time from our rental to our home. It certainly was not liveable without A/C and heat let alone no electrical switches or outlets. SMH.

The ones I got were with all of the other PVC "stuff". There is a small o-ring on one end. I put the lube on it and things are great!

Good luck!

I KNEW you would be putting up a new wall but.............it is one of my biggest fears that the ONE time I do not say something (lights on with cars is a good example) will be the time I needed to say something LOL

Do you have a test kit yet? If not look at my siggy to see the link to compare them. The TF-100 is the best bang for the buck.

Kim

Looks great. Where did you get your outdoor shower from?

Thanks! It's not really "outdoor". Just used 1/2" galvanized steel for the pipes and ss braided cable for the support. The head is just a $20 plastic piece from Amazon. So if rots after 2-3 summers I can replace easily.

I think it turned out nicely with a bit of industrial feel to it.!

- - - Updated - - -

The ones I got were with all of the other PVC "stuff". There is a small o-ring on one end. I put the lube on it and things are great!

Good luck!

I KNEW you would be putting up a new wall but.............it is one of my biggest fears that the ONE time I do not say something (lights on with cars is a good example) will be the time I needed to say something LOL

Do you have a test kit yet? If not look at my siggy to see the link to compare them. The TF-100 is the best bang for the buck.

Kim

Ha yeah it certainly needs it. And yes I've got the TF-100. LOVE this site for the chemistry side of things!

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice job on resurrecting a neglected backyard!

Thanks! I guess I need to update my signature as well at some point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.