Great Forum

robdac

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2014
Weston, FL
First post so be gentle. I really appreciate that this forum is available for DIY'ers. Last year I moved to SE Florida and now have my first pool ever which up to this point has been maintained by a pool company. This morning I ordered a SWG and plan to replace the broken one on the system myself. I'm looking forward to learning pool chemistry and becoming my own pool guy. I've already learned tons about SWG's, pool chemistry basics, and basic maintenance. Thanks again!
Rob

Welcome and hope you enjoy the forum ! Congrats to taking on your pool maintenance yourself. Lots of good info on the site. To keep your water chemistry in check your going to need one of these Test Kits. I use the TF100. It's the best bang for your buck.
Any questions dont hesitate to ask.

Well hello there from another Florida person!

WELCOME to the best pool forum around! You are on the right track-finding TFP and ordering a great test kit!

You will find it saves you SO much money and is easy to do.

Your next step will be to find YOUR place for the best bleach/chlorine. Some find their best price at Walmart (plain bleach), pool store (the ONLY thing you will need to buy from them every again). I find mine at ACE Hardware just up the road from me.

Make sure to look a the %. Walmart greater value is 8%, pool store and Ace is 11%. Most avoid Lowes and such as their stuff tends to sit around it and loses "power".

As soon as you get your test kit let us know and we can/will help you through it. There are also videos on how to do the tests.

After a while you will be able to do the test without thinking about it.

Here is some light reading to start with so that you will have some base knowledge. There is a LOT of info. so it can seem overwhelming. Just read it over and over. It will start to make sense.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

Kim

I just installed my first pool last July. Used this site for maintenance all year and my oh my.....Super easy and Super cheap. And my water stayed CRYSTAL clear all year. All I had to do was test and add bleach. I didn't have to use any other chemicals once I set my CYA. Closed my pool via the method on this site and i looked in the skimmer basket into the pool before it froze over and it was still crystal clear. If you have an Ollies neaby, it is the cheapest around here...