Have PB close pool?

jjdurrant

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2008
MN
This is our first closing since buying the house.. we paid PB to open.. and I am considering paying him to close. Here is what I get for $164:

-Removal of all Deck Equipment (Ladder,Handrails, Light) We do not remove Diving Boards Due to Liability
-Removal of Skimmer Basket's and Return Eyeballs
-Blowout of All Pool Related Water Lines using an "Air Compressor". We also add Antifreeze where needed.
-Proper Winterizing of Pool Equipment (Filter, Pumps, Heater, Chlorinator, Etc.
-Addition of Winter Chemicals (Non-Chlorine Shock, Winter Algaecide, Mineral Control Agent)$35 Value
-Mesh Suspension Cover Installation

Thoughts?

I'd really question them as to what exactly they're going to add to the pool, but for doing everything else, sounds like a fair price, especially if you're not inclined to do it. I think I paid around $100 to have my ABG winterized the last time I had someone do it for me.

The MPS and the mineral control agent really bother me the most. Well, also the algaecide, especially if it's not polyquat60. (If you can't tell, I've gotten really paranoid about what gets put in my pool!). Why do you even need a mineral control agent? You're not using a mineral system, are you?

EDIT: MPS is not "shock"!!! My bad! :hammer: :hammer:

From what I have heard from other pool owners in my area (virginia beach) the going rate is $300. I would say you have a heck of a deal. I would also question what kind of chemicals they put in. All you need is balanced water before you close. I closed mine last year (with a little help from here) and opened it the next spring with crystal clear water. It helps to wait until your pool water gets pretty cold. I waited until the water was in the 60's until I closed it.

Yea, I informed him that I maintain my own pool chemistry and would like a detailed list of what he hads. I hope he does not get offeneded. :) I will let you all know what he says.

A pool company is NOT going to spend the time balancing your water :( , that's on you to do before they come. As this is your first closing, I'd say let them do it - but watch and take notes on what they do so you can do it yourself in the future :wink: We are more than willing to help you close your pool yourself but that price is ~$100 less than my boss charges!!

The MOST important part of winterizing a pool is getting all of the water out of the lines!! (Yes, the chems should be good, but if you're a member here - they already are 8) )

I think that if you let them do it this time and see what they do, you'll be able to handle it yourself in the years to come and open the pool yourself!!

The company I work for charges 185 for A/G closing and 195 for inground closing (up to 1 hour). There is an additional 5 dollar fuel charge, and any additional time is $120 an hour. We only need to charge for additional time on five or six of our most complex pools, or with our most complex homeowners. I have one customer who pays us $120 an hour to pressure wash her outdoor carpet around the pool, even though every year I tell her the number of a handy man who will do it for 40 bucks. We also charge extra per gallon of antifreeze, I think its was 7.99 a gallon last year.

Ok.. so here are more details from the PB:

--

I add a non-chlorine shocking agent that time releases, a 40% poly algaecide, and a product called Unique. The Unique is a mineral sequestering agent. This is what we added when the new liner was installed. There are two things you need to do before I close the pool. 1) balance the Ph 2) Raise the chlorine level in the pool to a 10 PPM reading. Normal swimming is a 1-3 PPM. Raising the chlorine level in the pool ensures that enough chlorine will be present to fight algae for the 6-7 months of down time.

jjdurrant said:
Ok.. so here are more details from the PB:

--

I add a non-chlorine shocking agent that time releases, a 40% poly algaecide, and a product called Unique. The Unique is a mineral sequestering agent. This is what we added when the new liner was installed. There are two things you need to do before I close the pool. 1) balance the Ph 2) Raise the chlorine level in the pool to a 10 PPM reading. Normal swimming is a 1-3 PPM. Raising the chlorine level in the pool ensures that enough chlorine will be present to fight algae for the 6-7 months of down time.

OK, Unique is a sequestrant, gotcha. The poly40 is OK too, just as long as he follows the proper dosing level. I'm still not too sure about the "non-chlorine shocking agent". I'm guessing that it's MPS, but I've never heard of MPS being "time released" (and neither has Waterbear!). Can he tell you what the ingredient list is, or get a brand name? Balancing the pH is a given (should be balanced already), and I wouldn't limit myself to 10ppm of FC; go ahead and raise it to the shock level for your given CYA level. To be honest, I don't see what the "non-chlorine shocking agent" will do that the FC won't. I don't think it'll hurt anything - I faithfully dumped MPS in my pool once a week like a good little lemming until I learned of a better way :wink: , I just don't think it'll help much.

FWIW, raising your FC to shock level and letting it circulate a bit, plus poly60 algaecide is what's recommended in the Winterizing article I read in the Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.