Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renovation in Central California

1. Back To Top    #1

Renovation in Central California

We are about to start a simple renovation of our 26 year old pool. The plan is to start draining it on Monday the 2nd of February. This is a shot of the pool as it is now. Look at my signature for the specifics. We will be going with a Wet Edge Technologies Pearl Matrix finish in Mediterranean Blue. We will be replacing the waterline tile and adding a 2 inch border of 1"x1" glass tiles along the edge of the steps and swimout.

This picture shows the delamination occurring at the steps, the only place in the pool it is actually delaminating.
    This is a picture of the mottling/scaling of the plaster in the pool
    Here is a shot of the mottling/scale in the spa, yes my pool is the poster boy for bad water chemistry, will not let that happen with the new finish!
    I'll keep the thread updated with pictures as the renovation progresses.
    Tom
    13' x 30' 17,000 gal IG pool with 6' x 6' 600 gal IG spillover spa. Wet Edge Pearl Matrix Finish in Mediterranean Blue. Pentair Quad DE60 Filter with Pentair Intelliflow VS filter pump and Pentair 3/4 HP pool cleaner pump. Teledyne Laars 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris QT spa blower, Polaris 380 pool cleaner, Circupool RJ-45 SWG, Taylor K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Renovation in Central California

Awesome!

Welcome to TFP...

Do keep us posted, as we love a good reno any time! Good choice on the finish selection, that will be very, very nice.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

This is going to be fun to watch. Have you picked out the tiles yet? Have any pictures?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    This is going to be fun to watch. Have you picked out the tiles yet? Have any pictures?

Kim
    Yes, for the waterline tile, we picked Aztec Cobalt AZ606 from National Pool Tile.

We will have a border tile at the step edges, spa seating and swimout, 1"x1" tiles in a 2" wide border - NPT Jules Rustic Blue

When completed, the border along the steps, spa seating and swimout should look similar to this:

Tom
    Tom
    13' x 30' 17,000 gal IG pool with 6' x 6' 600 gal IG spillover spa. Wet Edge Pearl Matrix Finish in Mediterranean Blue. Pentair Quad DE60 Filter with Pentair Intelliflow VS filter pump and Pentair 3/4 HP pool cleaner pump. Teledyne Laars 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris QT spa blower, Polaris 380 pool cleaner, Circupool RJ-45 SWG, Taylor K-2006 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

This is going to be really nice when finished!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Will Def like to see progress, I'm also in central california who are you using for remodel?

7. Back To Top    #7

If you have delaminations in one section, it's likely that you also have delaminations in other areas. They might not be visible now, but they could be there. Has the pool been replastered already? Is all of the old plaster going to be removed?

8. Back To Top    #8

THOSE are THE colors I would pic if I were to build a inground pool.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Poollife View Post
    Will Def like to see progress, I'm also in central california who are you using for remodel?
    New Image Pool Interiors in Clovis.
    Tom

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, we're into day 2 of the renovation. The contractor came by yesterday and put a pump in to drain the pool, it shut off about 10:00 last night. First thing this morning the crew showed up and started the prep work. They removed the tile, checked for hollow, loose areas. The chipped out all of the loose plaster, chipped out around the tile area, all inlets and the lights. After everything was chipped out they hit it heavy with a sandblaster and took it back to a solid substrate. The final job today was to spray the whole pool and spa with Multicoat Scratch Kote a bonding coat for the plaster, almost looks like gunite. Next is the re-tiling. Here are some pics of the pool as it is tonight.
    Tom

11. Back To Top    #11

It does not look so bad now LOL

Looks like they did a good job. Is the place where the tile goes smoother than it looks in the picture? Will they plaster over it to make is smooth?

Kim

12. Back To Top    #12

Day 3 - The contractor called this morning to let me know the tiling crew was on the way over. The tile will be finished today, the pebble finish will be applied on Thursday and then they will return Friday to acid wash the finish and start filling. The tile looks good, both my wife and I are very happy with our choice. Originally we were going to use long bullnose tile on the spa spillover but the tile was not available so we went with the regular 6x6. Here are some pics of the completed tile.
    Tom

13. Back To Top    #13

That is some VERY good work! You can see the care they used to place each tile!

Kim

14. Back To Top    #14

Very, very nice tile selection! It looks great!!!

15. Back To Top    #15

Day 4 - The plaster/pebble crew showed up early this morning as I was leaving for work. I stopped by at lunch and they were just finishing up in the deep end. One more day left, tomorrow they will acid wash the pool to remove the blue haze from the surface, replace the lights and drain grates and start filling. Should be full on Saturday. Here are some pics of todays work.

[

Tom

16. Back To Top    #16

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that colors!

Cute doggies! I thought that was agility stuff!

Kim

17. Back To Top    #17

It's a brand new pool!

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that colors!

Cute doggies! I thought that was agility stuff!

Kim
    Ruby the Red Aussie is our Agility Dog. Bailey the black dog is our kids dog, we moved them from Oregon to Pismo Beach here in California over the holidays and they cannot have a dog at the place they are renting. Both dogs have been going nuts seeing all these unfamiliar people in the back yard all week. After today we'll be somewhat back to normal.

Tom

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    It's a brand new pool!
    It's amazing what a facelift will do, now to tackle the rest of the yard and the deck. As you can see by the poor looking lawn the drought has taken a toll, we are limited to watering one day a week and the warm temps have not helped

Tom
    Tom

19. Back To Top    #19

Day 5 - The pool was acid washed today to remove the blue haze and the refilling was started. Quite a difference between yesterday and today with all the blue haze gone. The spa is completely filled now and we're really liking how it looks. The rest of the pool should be filled sometime tomorrow. The contractor called and their start-up technician will be here on Monday to get the water chemistry balanced, clean the filter and get it going. Here are some pics showing the pool as of today.

Tom

20. Back To Top    #20

What good the acid bath did! NICE!

Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast