Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater question..

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater question..

I am looking at installing a heater this spring. This is what my pool company came up with.

Pentair 250 BTU, natural gas $2,479.
    3x3 pad $300
    Hook up to gas line $50
    Installation $350

Does this seem about right?

Also, is it possible to purchase one online (looking at costs) and is it hard to find someone to install?

I wanted to go with a bigger Raypack but this is what they are telling me this will work just fine.

TIA

Chris
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heater question..

We generally recommend getting the largest heater you can manage. Heating a pool takes a tremendous amount of heat, which often means hours or days to get up to temperature from cold. A larger heater will speed up that process noticeably. Of course your gas line needs to be large enough to handle it.

Not all installers will install equipment you provide, but enough of them will that it isn't usually too difficult to find someone who will do that.

The heater in that bid is way over priced and then they are charging an install on top of that, which makes the total rather high. I am sure you can find a better deal elsewhere.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason,

I wanted to go larger and this pool company said it was overkill.

I have another estimate from someone else.

Raypak 406,00 BTU Natural gas $2780 with taxes the other company didn't include tax.

Parts and installation $550
    He says I don't need another pad, the other company does.

There isn't to many other pool companies around here so I feel kind stuck. I just want to make sure I get the right size.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

This estimate is better and not too high. It comes with a higher quality heater and the right size. A complete DIYer would save around $700ish, but you would need experience with electrical and gas which are both deadly if handled incorrectly.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    This estimate is better and not too high. It comes with a higher quality heater and the right size. A complete DIYer would save around $700ish, but you would need experience with electrical and gas which are both deadly if handled incorrectly.
    I agree, but we both know our DIY capabilities which amount to zero

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Go for the Raypak. It will serve you well. The price $2780 I would think would include install. $550 on top of that brings it to a expensive heater, in my opinion.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    Go for the Raypak. It will serve you well. The price $2780 I would think would include install. $550 on top of that brings it to a expensive heater, in my opinion.
    In florida maybe, in the pacific northwest that would be a pretty good deal.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I charge pretty much $3000 installed for most 400 btu heaters. Only extra charge would be having to run a gas line from the meter to the heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    We generally recommend getting the largest heater you can manage. Heating a pool takes a tremendous amount of heat, which often means hours or days to get up to temperature from cold. A larger heater will speed up that process noticeably. Of course your gas line needs to be large enough to handle it.
    +1

To heat a given water volume up to a desired temperature will take a specific number of BTU's (all other factors held constant), regardless of what type/size heater you have. A larger heater will simply do the job faster than a smaller one. Either way, the same number of BTU's will be used to reach a specific target temperature.

This calculator may help. It is Excel-based and is designed for calculating the cost of using a natural gas heater to achieve a target temperature rise.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.