Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter pump settings

1. Back To Top    #1

Winter pump settings

Hello,
    Looking for winter pump run time recommendations for my pool. I live in SE Virginia. My pump is a whisper flow two stage with freeze protection. I'm leaving my pool open year round. thanks.
    18x38 IG liner salt water pool, pentair cartridge filter, whisper flow two stage pump, Hayward t-15 cell, Hayward aqua plus, legend cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Winter pump settings

This varies somewhat from pool to pool, but in mid-winter when the water is very cold it is often sufficient to run the pump on low speed two or three hours a day.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. The water temp is about 40. I didn't think I needed to run the pump on high speed. Is there a preferred time to run the pump on low speed? Morning, night, or an hour in the morning and an hour or so in the evening? Thanks again.
    18x38 IG liner salt water pool, pentair cartridge filter, whisper flow two stage pump, Hayward t-15 cell, Hayward aqua plus, legend cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

The time of day you run the pump makes only a tiny difference. That said the ideal is to run it for several half hour or one hour periods spread around the clock. That minimizes the amount of debris that sinks to the bottom between pump runs. On the other hand, if you have time of day electric pricing, then by all means run the pump when the rates are lower.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School