Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Normal for DE to be in pump strainer atfter shutdown?

1. Back To Top    #1

Normal for DE to be in pump strainer atfter shutdown?

Hi All,
    My pump is on a timer and at shutdown DE backs up into the pump strainer. I know this because the water inside the pump housing is milky white. Is this normal?

Thanks,
    Joe
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

2. Back To Top    #2

I never saw that happen when I had a DE filter.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Joe,

This is a complete guess but it makes sense that if you see DE, the water in your system is "backing up" when you turn off the pump.

The only way I can see that occuring is if you have an air leak (probably tiny since it doesn't lose prime) somewhere in the system.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Thanks for the responses. Upon further reflection, I think I know what is happening.

The original PB did not use any check valves in the system. I have a spa that is higher than my pool. When I shut the pump off the water tries to equalize and pushes backwards from my spa return through my pool returns and main drain/skimmer resulting in the DE in my pump. Sound possible? I bought a check valve prior to noticing this problem, just haven't installed it yet.

In the morning the pump basket is still full of water so I don't think I have a leak. Also when I installed the filter I literally weighed out the DE. I have heard of adding 80% of the suggested amount though.

Sound reasonable?
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

5. Back To Top    #5

Joe the answer is YES

(when I get a little free time - I'll post the URLs to my pool forum responses that are also showing up here )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)