Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG pools need to be resin?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG pools need to be resin?

Quote Originally Posted by NWMNMom View Post
    We have had salt in our AG pool for many years. I took it apart to install a new liner, cove, etc last year. No signs of corrosion
    I am thinking of a SWCG for the pool I just bought. Its a Sharkline Morada/Quest. I believe the only parts not resin are the uprights and they are coated with an anti corrosion compound. I have heard that you must have an all resin pool to use a SWCG. My internet dealer says my pool is not warranted for a SWCG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG pools need to be resin?

There are almost never any problems using a SWG with a metal frame/panel above ground pool. However, the loss of warranty coverage is an issue with most brands that is worth consideration.

The main risk is that the liner will leak onto the frame and you won't notice, allowing the frame to get wet and stay wet for an extended period of time. In those conditions using salt water will slightly speed up the corrosion of the frame (which will happen anyway even without salt in that situation).

Across thousands of members, we have only heard of a couple of pools where the frame rusted through, and in those cases it is never clear that it wouldn't have done the same thing even without salt.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    There are almost never any problems using a SWG with a metal frame/panel above ground pool. However, the loss of warranty coverage is an issue with most brands that is worth consideration.

The main risk is that the liner will leak onto the frame and you won't notice, allowing the frame to get wet and stay wet for an extended period of time. In those conditions using salt water will slightly speed up the corrosion of the frame (which will happen anyway even without salt in that situation).

Across thousands of members, we have only heard of a couple of pools where the frame rusted through, and in those cases it is never clear that it wouldn't have done the same thing even without salt.
    Thanks Jason. When you say frame what do you mean? My pool is all resin except for the uprights and the wall, of course.

4. Back To Top    #4

By frame I mean everything involved in holding up the liner: uprights, top rails, and walls. Obviously, the less metal in your pool, the less risk there is, but the risk is low to begin with.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School