Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Portable Wi-fi speakers to enjoy by the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Portable Wi-fi speakers to enjoy by the pool

Any suggestions on a quality wi-fi, portable speaker to use by the pool? I don't know if I can justify $400 for a Sonos with all the other expenses of a pool?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Portable Wi-fi speakers to enjoy by the pool

I use a bluetooth speaker with my phone. It works great, has a great sound, and surprisingly loud. I have the older version of this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/jbl-char...&skuId=7092028
    Last edited by yostmatt; 01-28-2015 at 03:03 PM. Reason: spelling
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. Jandy 200 SqFt cartridge filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

3. Back To Top    #3

I use a 150 dollar mini stereo that I just keep covered in plastic when weather rears it's head. Has CD, bluetooth (so those pesky guests can play DJ on their phones, and USB drive port. Am/FM of course. Unit sits on top of my tiki bar with the speakers inside. But dang that Sonos is nice!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I saw a couple nice Bluetooth speakers at SAMs that would work. This one is nice and rugged. http://m.samsclub.com/ip/block-rocke...s-/prod9230260

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

There are definitely some nice bluetooth speakers out there. But you just can't beat sonos. It really is amazing. Highly recommend.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

I was going through same issue when doing my outdoor setup. I wanted a decent outdoor bluetooth setup that would be weather resistant and can be up all year long that I didn't have to charge batteries or constantly worry about being broken or damaged around water and sun.

A great post and setup I found on the site here which I replicated also (credit to the original poster/designer):
    [URL="http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/72263-DIY-Outdoor-Bluetooth-Speakers?p=620547#post620547"]

I hard wired mine into a switch in the crawlspace right by the outside patio and am running 3 outdoor speakers (not 4 for a reason) off the little amp with plenty of output. Bluetooth range on the Iphone is pretty good considering going through screen patio and side of house wood. A bit over a year running it all year long and no issues so far. Happy I did it for just a bit over $100. Throwing out another option.
    18x30 Freeform In-ground Vinyl Lined. 11,500 gallons.
    4 returns, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains.
    Hayward TriStar 1hp 2-Speed Pump. Hayward S244T Filter.Hayward Goldline Panel + SWG.
    Polaris 280 cleaner. AquaComfort 75k BTU Heatpump
    TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

The Sonos Play 1's are $199, still pricey. We play ours outside under a covered deck, just have to remember to bring them back inside after your done.
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by yostmatt View Post
    I use a bluetooth speaker with my phone. It works great, has a great sound, and surprisingly loud. I have the older version of this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/jbl-char...&skuId=7092028

I have an older version of this speaker also. It's no Bose but it also isn't hundreds of dollars. It has amazing sound for such a small speaker.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)