Cartridge filter losing flow after minutes.

Do you mean like a auto vac? Yah I have the Hayward diver dive but it's not in at the moment.

Jamull, I'm curious if you have any kind of pool sweep for your pool, eve if it isn't attached at this time.

- - - Updated - - -

Yah I'm going to wait to replace it until I clear the over night test. I've had great results with the bleach method for three years now, always kept the FC in range until the the end of last summer I let it go now trying to get my pretty water back lol. Still getting better. Just went add bleach and it's almost their, still cloudy very little so I'll say another few days. One thing I'm doing different than the last two times I slammed it is not keeping the FC as high as Ive done the last two times. It's taking a little longer but I rather play it safe with my equipment beings it's to cold to swim anyway so I'll just take it slow. Will try to update with a picture if I can figure it out

Here's the cleaning instructions straight from Pleatco: http://www.pleatco.com/faq/pleatco_faq.pdf

The cartridge filters do have a "life" and do need to be replaced occasionally, but I'd wait to replace till your done with this bout of algae. Remember never let your FC level go below the level recommended here http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock and you shouldn't have an algae issue again.

Tried just using my top skimmer it seemed to help a little but still losing flow. Prolly just time for a new filter. If I had to guess this is prolly why my Hayward diver would just coil up last summer. Guessing the pump was still sucking like normal and with the filter clogging it up it wouldn't be able to keep up with the suction so it would just coil up the hose. Just passed the over night test and everything looks clean and clear. Will try to post pics

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Sorry I meant I'm losing flow from the increase in pressure on the filter gauge.
After cleaning filter my gauge is at 12psi, after about 30 mins I'm up to 16-18psi.
First 2 - 2.5 years I had the filter it would run 2-4psi and water flow out of the return was extremely strong. Now the water flow is strong after cleaning but after 30 mins it's slow down a lot and that's when the filter pressure will increase. Most of my cartridge filter straps are busted and after inspecting the inside of the pleats they due tend to be slightly stain so not sure if that's the problem.

An increase in psi when the pump is running means one thing.......you are collecting debris (even though you may not see it) in your cartridge.

If you had a cartridge that used to account for 2-4 psi of resistance, that is because that cartridge was very clean and allowed water to flow through it easily.

Now, at 12 psi, your cartridge is dirtier and therefor provides more resistance. When you see your psi go to 16-18, that's because it is collecting dirt/debris, which provides even more resistance, and needs further cleaning.

Have you read the article in Pool School on Cleaning your Cartridge Filter?

Yes I have. I even soaked it in TSP and again with acid. Neither seemed to make a difference. The pool looks completely spotless though lol even at night with the light on I don't see any floating particles. I passed the over night test and have 0 CC, water sparkles like crazy with sunlight. I'm very happy with the results and will continue to clean filter as needed for now since water is still to cold. If filter don't get any better by the summer months I will just replace it, it's just one filter. Not like the 4 filter systems a lot of you have. Thanks everyone I will still update if anything changes or when I get a new filter.

Put my diver Dave vacuum in and it picked up a lot of small debris from the bottom of the pool that I didn't even notice was in their. Pool is crystal clear and it picked up some stuff so for the first time the filter actually looked dirty two days in a row. I also used the small brass fitting on the hose and it puts out way more pressure. After clean the pressure came down to 9-10psi so that's a plus. Flow has been a lot better also. So it looks like the filter should still be good for atleast another year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When I had an above ground pool and I ran into problems - like every year because I was lazy - I would slam it, and use extra bleach. Then in a day or two when everything settled, I'd use the pool vacuum BUT I'd use it as a siphon to bypass the filter system and send it out in the yard. You have decent enough suction to get the worst of it out so you don't clog up so fast.

Then I'd bring the chemicals back up to spec, and that was pretty much the end of my problems. I had a diatomaceous earth filter, but the principle is the same - By pass the filter when pulling out the worst of the gunk.

It's not a bad idea to keep your old filter, then every now and then swap it to let your new filter get bone dry in the sun for a few days. Vacuum it off or blow it clean with compressed air, then soak it with household bleach and reinstall it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.