Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool Quote - Please Review & Input

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Quote - Please Review & Input

So we are down to the final negotiations with our most preferred builder. Very similar to a previous quote with the exception that this builder uses Hayward equipment.

Let me know if yall have any input/suggestions.

Thank you!

POOL
    POOL SIZE: 15’ X 49’
    PERIMETER: 144 LN.FT.
    AREA: 773 SQ.FT.
    BENCH : 2
    STEPS : 2
    DEPTH : 3 ½’ – 6 – 3 ½’
    TILE : 2” X 2” Frost Proof Decorative Tile. Tile markers on steps and benches.
    COPING : 1’ of TRAVERTINE AROUND ENTIRE POOL
    PLASTER : PEBBLE TEC/PEBBLE SHEE – TIER # 1
    DECK : 1000 SQ.FT. OF TRAVERTINE TILE (CEMENT BASE), VERSAILLE PATTERN, WITH ALL DRAINAGE

STRUCTURE INFORMATION
    LIFETIME GUNITE SHELL WARRANTY THAT IS TRANSFERABLE TO FUTURE OWNER.
    STEEL REINFORCEMENT: 12”x18” Bond Beam – 4 Bars #4 (1/2”) continuous. Walls and Floor - #3(3/8”) 8” on center.
    GUNITE : Walls and Floor minimum 9” thick. Gunite Bond Beam 12” x 18”
    PLUMBING : 40 LN.FT. Heavy wall Schedule 40 PVC pipe size 2” for all out lines and 1 ½” in return lines. Gas Line connection if required.
    SKIMMERS: 2
    RETURNS: 10
    MAIN DRAINS: 2

POOL EQUIPMENT
    FILTER: 525SF CARTRIDGE
    CHLORINATOR : YES – INLINE
    OZONATOR : ULTRAPURE
    PUMP : ECOSTAR-VARIABLE
    POOL LIGHT : 2 COLORLOGIC (LED)
    CLEANER : POOL VAC ULTRA

SPA
    SIZE :TRIANGLE SPA 12’ X 8 ½’ – RAISED 18” – 13 FT. LONG SPILLWAY – ALL EXTERIOR COVERED WITH FLAGSTONE LEDGESTONE.
    SPA PLUMBING
    JETS : 8 (4 ARE ROTATING)
    MAIN DRAINS : 2
    RETURNS : 8
    SPA EQUIPMENT
    HEATER : 400,000 BTU’S
    BLOWER : 2 HP
    SPA LIGHT : 1 COLORLOGIC

CONTROL SYSTEM : PROLOGIC PS-8 + AQUACONNECT REMOTE POOL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM + AQUAPOD REMOTE CONTROL

TANNING SHELF : 12’ X 8’ INCLUDES 1 LED BUBBLER + 3 BUBBLERS ON BENCHES

RAISED WALLS : 24 FT. LONG 18” RAISED + 27 FT. LONG 12” RAISED. FRONT COVERED WITH LEDGESTONE. INCLUDES 4 – 48” SHEER DESCENTS + 1 HP TRISTAR PUMP.

Price does include the following :
    Homeowner Association , City and any other required permits.
    Demo : Remove and haul away 512 sq.ft. of existing concrete patio, fire pit, planters and pergola
    Sewer and Water stubout for future kitchen/bathroom
    Removal and Re-installation of Fence for construction access.
    Replace any damaged grass. Repair & Cap any damaged sprinklers
    Test Kit, Brush, Net, Telescopic Pole, Hose & Vacuum Head
    Final Clean up.Start Up.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Quote - Please Review & Input

That looks very nice. The equipment choices all look good except for the ozonator, which I recommend strongly against. Ozone adds nothing to a residential pool and is just another thing that needs attention and maintenance.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Just a few non-pool questions:

1) It looks like the back wall in the 3D rendering does not match the schematic. Maybe it's just the angle of the rendering, but they will go by the schematic, not the rendering, so I would double-check that.
    2) Not sure how wide the back is between the pool and wall, but we have about five feet. If you are planting behind it you will definitely want to have enough room for pruning equipment (saws etc). Looks like you won't have an enclosure, but you'll definitely want to make sure you have enough room to get back there (and enough of a vertex if you are planning to put lighting back there.
    3) The test kit, brush, etc I got with my pool was very low quality. You can do much better on your own. Not sure if they will adjust the price, but I ended up throwing my test kit away after getting the tf100 with the Taylor K1000. Much easier to read and much much more granular testing.
    4) I don't know enough about the ozonator. I got sold one, but the overwhelming majority on here say there is no need (found this forum after I signed my contract).
    5) You may want to ask about how low the sun shelf with be and how they will be doing the bubblers if lower than 12 inches. While I have only heard second-hand, the telescopic ones seem to be problematic and a bit of a maintenance nightmare. Unfortunately we only learned this from the builder (and verified with others) AFTER the contract was signed.

I love our sun shelf (without bubblers)...if you guys enjoy the beach you will probably spend a lot of time there.

Looks like a great design. Good luck and keep us posted.
    ----
    15' x 29' 10,300 gal w/ spa, IG-Plaster (Stonescapes Tropics Blue), 2spd WhisperFlo pump (1.5hp WFDS-26), Pentair Clean and Clear CC200 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 300BTU heater, Clear o3, RS-8 iAqualink

4. Back To Top    #4

What price are they quoting? Location?

5. Back To Top    #5

Hey ITR,

I'm pretty sure it's just the angle of the rendering

The easement is 7ft

The tanning shelf is 1ft deep.

Quote Originally Posted by ITR View Post
    Just a few non-pool questions:

1) It looks like the back wall in the 3D rendering does not match the schematic. Maybe it's just the angle of the rendering, but they will go by the schematic, not the rendering, so I would double-check that.
    2) Not sure how wide the back is between the pool and wall, but we have about five feet. If you are planting behind it you will definitely want to have enough room for pruning equipment (saws etc). Looks like you won't have an enclosure, but you'll definitely want to make sure you have enough room to get back there (and enough of a vertex if you are planning to put lighting back there.
    3) The test kit, brush, etc I got with my pool was very low quality. You can do much better on your own. Not sure if they will adjust the price, but I ended up throwing my test kit away after getting the tf100 with the Taylor K1000. Much easier to read and much much more granular testing.
    4) I don't know enough about the ozonator. I got sold one, but the overwhelming majority on here say there is no need (found this forum after I signed my contract).
    5) You may want to ask about how low the sun shelf with be and how they will be doing the bubblers if lower than 12 inches. While I have only heard second-hand, the telescopic ones seem to be problematic and a bit of a maintenance nightmare. Unfortunately we only learned this from the builder (and verified with others) AFTER the contract was signed.

I love our sun shelf (without bubblers)...if you guys enjoy the beach you will probably spend a lot of time there.

Looks like a great design. Good luck and keep us posted.
    - - - Updated - - -

$80,000 with stub outs and sewer for kitchen

Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Itsjustme0770 View Post
    What price are they quoting? Location?

6. Back To Top    #6

Very nice. I love the design.

7. Back To Top    #7

OMG! I love that pool!
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

That is neat looking.

This should be a fun build to watch.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

First of all, very nice looking pool. I'm envy you guys in the Houston area because i'm positive i couldn't get a pool and all that extra work done for 80,000 bucks. PB's in the Houston area must be killing each other.
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

10. Back To Top    #10

Very nice design! From the list, I would caution on just two items:

4 waterfalls will be a lot of white noise. Given the direction and height of the walls, it would be too much for me personally.

The 13' spillway is gorgeous. Check the pump specs to ensure that you're not running the VS at high speed all time to achieve the spillover effect, otherwise you lose the savings impact of going with VS pump.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

11. Back To Top    #11

I will inquire about the Spillover.

Thanks for the suggestions - I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by txnole View Post
    Very nice design! From the list, I would caution on just two items:

4 waterfalls will be a lot of white noise. Given the direction and height of the walls, it would be too much for me personally.

The 13' spillway is gorgeous. Check the pump specs to ensure that you're not running the VS at high speed all time to achieve the spillover effect, otherwise you lose the savings impact of going with VS pump.

12. Back To Top    #12

make sure you have overflow drain . nice

13. Back To Top    #13

Per the pool builder the Pool & Spa are on the same pump (VS Hayward).

So spillover will depend upon the pump speed - low spillover on lower speeds - higher spillover on higher speeds.

Is Spa/Pool generally controlled separately or in joint like this?

I would think having spam/spill over functionality controlled independently would be more ideal.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by ErikU19 View Post
    Is Spa/Pool generally controlled separately or in joint like this?

I would think having spam/spill over functionality controlled independently would be more ideal.
    Disclaimer first...I have only been researching pools for less than a year, but this is pretty typical. The way our pool was designed is that the returns can be adjusted between pool and spa. You can have both, or either one. On our pool we are satisfied and it produces enough flow for both pool and spa returns at the same time.
    ----
    15' x 29' 10,300 gal w/ spa, IG-Plaster (Stonescapes Tropics Blue), 2spd WhisperFlo pump (1.5hp WFDS-26), Pentair Clean and Clear CC200 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 300BTU heater, Clear o3, RS-8 iAqualink

15. Back To Top    #15

The pool and spa can be designed with one pump (fully shared), two pumps where one pump can do either pool or spa and the other is dedicated to the spa jets (partially shared), or two completely independent pumps, one for the pool and one for the spa (fully separate). Fully shared is very common these days, especially when using a variable speed pump. It costs less to install and works well on all but the largest/most complex spas. Partially shared is typically used when the spa has lots of jets, which need a lot of power. Fully separate is quite rare as it costs the most and requires more complex chemical maintenance.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

Looks Nice! Im at the same as you cost wise and pretty happy with my price for everything I'm getting so far
    2015 Build, Stonescapes Mini Pebble-Blue Sea, 46.5'x23', 9' deep, Paramount IFCS on steps and shelfs, 8' spa with spillover, Quartzite Flagstone Coping and Patio, 3" Suctions and Returns, 1 skimmer, 6 Jandy LED Watercolor lights, Baja Shelf w/ diving rock, 2x 2HP Jandy VS E-Pump, Jandy LXI 400K BTU Heater Cupro/Nickel exchanger, Cartridge Filter, Grotto/Waterfall/ Slide, Jandy SWG, I-aqualink 2.0

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks for the detailed reply Jason.

I assume 8 jets is typical/smaller side and I should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    The pool and spa can be designed with one pump (fully shared), two pumps where one pump can do either pool or spa and the other is dedicated to the spa jets (partially shared), or two completely independent pumps, one for the pool and one for the spa (fully separate). Fully shared is very common these days, especially when using a variable speed pump. It costs less to install and works well on all but the largest/most complex spas. Partially shared is typically used when the spa has lots of jets, which need a lot of power. Fully separate is quite rare as it costs the most and requires more complex chemical maintenance.
    - - - Updated - - -

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ITR View Post
    Disclaimer first...I have only been researching pools for less than a year, but this is pretty typical. The way our pool was designed is that the returns can be adjusted between pool and spa. You can have both, or either one. On our pool we are satisfied and it produces enough flow for both pool and spa returns at the same time.

18. Back To Top    #18

8 jets is what I would call medium, and yes should be fine with a single fully shared pump.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    8 jets is what I would call medium, and yes should be fine with a single fully shared pump.
    I think your pump is perfect for the pool / spa jets; however, I would definitely have the PB *show you* a pool with a 13' spillover and the same spec pump to ensure the spillover works as you expect. Some people prefer the waterfall effect vs trickle, so be sure you know which you should experience.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks Guys.

Supposed to sign on Wednesday.

What it a typical pay schedule? Here is the initial schedule in the first contract.

Signed Contract = 2%
    Excavation = 40%
    Prior To Tile & Coping = 25%
    Prior To Decking = 15.5%
    Prior To Patio Extension = 10%
    When Finished = 7.5%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast