Low speed = No PSI on filter

zethacat

LifeTime Supporter
When I run my pump at 1000 RPM, the filter reads 0 PSI even though my flow meter shows water moving at about 15 GPM. At 2000 RPM the needle moves up to 5 PSI (35 GPM). At 3450 RPM it was 20 PSI last time I cleaned the filter ; today it's 24 PSI. I don't ever see an increase in PSI at the lower RPM's; I need to ramp the speed up to maximum in order to gauge when I will need to clean the filter again. Does this sound like normal operation and is there any disadvantage to running the filter at 0 PSI? For reference, I've had the gauge replaced 3 times.. behavior was the same on the previous ones.

It isn't really 0 PSI, the gauge just isn't very good. Pool equipment uses inexpensive and fairly low quality gauges when often have problems reading low PSI values. This isn't really a problem, you just need to use a fairly high RPM, the same one each time, to decide if it is time to clean the filter or not.

Even the better gauges don't read well below 2 PSI. Take a look at the gauge that Dave sells and there are two missing marks between 0 and 2 PSI so the first increment is really 1.5 PSI. Most gauges skip at least the 1 PSI marker so zero is really 1 PSI. That is just where they put the needle stop so they call it zero. Also, most gauges have at least 1 PSI error.

574.jpg

One easy way to tell if there is pressure in the filter is to open the filter purge valve and see if air or water comes out.

You're good. The bigger the filter like you have, the lower the pressure will be and the lower the RPM then obvously the pressure will be lower.
Combine the two, and you will prolly not have to clean your filter for a good while!

I have a big cartridge filter and intelliflo, and I have to get the RPM up to about 1300ish before i even see the needle move at all.

2000 RPM for 8 hours is probably much too fast and much too long unless you have some specific reason for doing that. 1000 RPM is the most efficient speed but does not always work well for skimmers and cleaners (non-booster). General rule of thumb is set run time as short as possible because after chlorination, the only reason to run a pump is to keep debris out of the water and that is basically personal preference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.