Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leave Cleaner in Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Leave Cleaner in Pool

Hello all-

I'm a newbie to this whole pool thing - so this may be a dumb question. However, is it appropriate to leave the pool cleaner in the pool when it's not running? If so, how long is appropriate?

I have a 2-wheel Poolverneugen "The Pool Cleaner" (works wonderfully).

Thanks!
    14,000 Gallon In-Ground Quartz Plaster
    Cartridge Filter, Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump with 420 SqFt Pentair Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter
    Pentair MasterTemp Heater with Zodiac Blower for Spa, Poolverneugen Automatic Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leave Cleaner in Pool

It is generally fine to leave a pressure or suction side cleaner in the pool. However it should be removed when you are swimming.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I previously had a Polaris 280 and my PB said I could keep it in the water as long as I wanted....just take it out when we want to swim.

However, in the first 2 years I had it, it went back to the shop for complete rebuilds on 3 separate occasions. On the 3rd time, the lady at the pool store said "You must keep this in your pool all the time. These things break down more frequently when you do that."

I don't know if I believe her (and other people probably have different perspectives), but if I were to do it all again, I would probably take it out when I didn't need it. Just my $0.02 worth....
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

I only take mine out when multiple people/kids will be swimming. I like it to run for an hour every day - I tend to be pretty picky about the bottom of the pool being clean. I've been through 1 year so far with no issues... Polaris 280.
    30X40' free-form gunite/plaster pool, 4-8' deep with flagstone beach entry, gunite "rock" retaining wall with multiple small waterfalls/planters, grotto/slide/waterfall combo, 18" raised spa with waterfall into pool

5. Back To Top    #5

I have had the same cleaner for a little over 4 years now and during the off season, November through February, the cleaner stays in the pool 24/7. The other months we only put it in as necessary because the pool is used most days.

In those 4+ years I have only needed to change the tires once about a year ago.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    I have had the same cleaner for a little over 4 years now and during the off season, November through February, the cleaner stays in the pool 24/7. The other months we only put it in as necessary because the pool is used most days.

In those 4+ years I have only needed to change the tires once about a year ago.
    Ping, why keep the pool cleaner in during the winter months but only spotty during the season?

7. Back To Top    #7

My wife teaches in the pool during the season so it only goes in when the pool needs to be cleaned. During the off months it is easiest to leave it in the water and run it once or twice a week as needed.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Best to leave it in the pool and let it do its job. If it's getting in the way on say a suction side cleaner, remove the cleaner and hose. It's best to lay a hose in a straight line or take it apart so it doesn't coil up. If it coils up it can take the shape and will always want to coil up in the pool. If on the suction side remember to shut any dedicated cleaner line cover or valve so someone doesn't get stuck to it.