Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Builder Screw up--Shorted me 112SF--Can it be expanded in shallow end?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Builder Screw up--Shorted me 112SF--Can it be expanded in shallow end?

We contracted with a local pool builder and he short-changed us by 112 SF (15%) of the 750 SF for which we had contracted. He was going to expand the pool in the shallow end this fall but due to financial issues asked to do the expansion next fall, 2015 with a subsequent plastering in Spring 2016.

There are many other issues,but this is the gist. I have a structural engineer who drafted designs for the expansion, but I've now heard from several other folks who suggested that this might not be the best idea in my part of the country (northeast). Any thoughts or guidance?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Builder Screw up--Shorted me 112SF--Can it be expanded in shallow end?

So you have ~640 ft² instead of 750 ft². If the structural engineer stamped the design then it should be fine as long as the builder follows it to the letter.

Since I assume the pool is already built, I'd really ask myself how important is that other 112 ft². If it's not an absolutely must have, I think I'd try to work out a refund with the builder and take it like it is.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool Builder Screw up--Shorted me 112SF--Can it be expanded in shallow end?

My engineer said it is indeed possible to expand. As to your other question--We saved and spent considerable money on upgrades and to get a 3 br home instead of our ordered 4 br is disappointing.